cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schwop

Choices column in dataverse table write protected

Hi all,

I would like to add a multiselect column to my dataverse table. However, when I add the respective column using the type choices this column is write protected and I can't access the defined choice items. The same issue occurs when I try to implement a multiselect field via a lookup-table holding my items to choose from. I am using a Microsoft 365 E5 Developer Test account, but have the same issue with my work account running Microsoft 365 E3.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas

8 REPLIES 8
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @schwop ,

Is this Dataverse for teams environment?  When you say right protected, help me understand what you are saying?  Are you exposing this through a model or canvas app?  Unable to patch?

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Hi @dpoggemann ,

yes, it is in the Dataverse for teams environment. Write protected means that the choices column is read-only when I try to enter values directly in the table (see screenshot below; "Schreibgeschützt" is german for read-only). I would like to connect the table to a canvas app but would like to enter some dummy data upfront 

schwop_0-1630067539133.png

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @schwop ,

I have the same experience in my environment. Tried multiple approaches to edit (including trying to edit in Excel instead) and hitting same limitation.  I would suggest opening a case with support. 

Thanks much,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Sunidhigambhir1
Frequent Visitor

The Choices function returns a table of the possible values for a  column.

Use the Choices function to provide a list of choices for your user to select from. This function is commonly used with the combo box, drop down controls. 

Hi @schwop, it appears you are trying to edit the Choices column in the Table Designer. It is showing Read Only there because the Table Designer doesn't have a control yet to modify that data type. If you go to the Design Hub instead and modify the column, you will find that you can make your changes. The team is working to bring data type parity ointo the Table Designer.

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @NHelgren ,

I even used the "Edit In Excel" and this didn't work as well.   Can you explain the design hub to edit this as I am not sure I understand what this is vs. what I was doing to try to modify the data.

Thanks,

Drew

That is interesting about the limitation in Excel. Is the table part of a managed solution?

To get to the Design Hub:

1. On Build, pick See All in the "Items created for <<yourteam>>"

2. In the left hand menu Click Tables

NHelgren_0-1630620401559.png

3. Click the column

NHelgren_1-1630620716570.png

4. Click Edit Choice

NHelgren_2-1630620760164.png

If you have permissions to edit the table/field you should be able to add/rename items. If this is in a managed table and you are not the publisher you won't be able to edit it. If you cannot edit it and have sufficient permissions, please open a support case.

Hi @NHelgren ,

this is an issue with adding or modifying the data itself, not the structure.  Unable to edit the rows for this Choices column in both the UI and Excel.  To me this is an issue and a case should be opened.

thanks,

Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,754)