cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Connecting dataverse tables via multi fields

My schema requires I use multi-element access between tables...  (ie. Company+Employee) not an uncommon database problem.  Power Apps allows you can create multi-field keys but does not allow you to use then in model-driven development.  

I read that one method is to create a calculated field and concatenate the fields into that.  but the CONCAT() function does not work with fields that are either LOOKUP or  CHOICE.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Hi @cshinneman 

Have you tried the Concat function using a string field from the Lookup? I.e. here are the instructions from Microsoft docs

You can access parental columns via the Lookup column to the parent table, such as <LookupFieldName>.<FieldName>

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @cshinneman 

Have you tried the Concat function using a string field from the Lookup? I.e. here are the instructions from Microsoft docs

You can access parental columns via the Lookup column to the parent table, such as <LookupFieldName>.<FieldName>

View solution in original post

This worked great in getting a calculated field that was a concatenation of two fields.  Thank you!

Now I am attempting to use that field as a lookup in the child table.  It works in a very odd way.  In one instance it brings in the locally defined field (of the calculated column) in the parent table but on the looked-up field in the parent.  In another case the parent table shows as a popup table but when a record is selected no data is copied into the child field.  In another case  where the parent calculated field is composed of two lookup fields no popup table shows at all.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Users online (57,761)