cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulD1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Connecting native Android Apps to Dataverse (D365 CE)

We have a Canvas App connecting to D365CE (and Azure Blob Storage) used by about 200 field based users. The App is used throughout the day, typically left open all day (though possibly in the background) with periods of inactivity interspersed with short bursts of activity during customer interactions.

Despite lots of optimisation and tweaking, performance is still poor with some things seemingly out of our control (e.g. after the App 'sleeps' it seems to take 30 seconds or so to wake and reconnect to D365 to return results) and sometimes updates to the Power Apps player via the Play Store can introduce new bugs or negatively impact app behaviour.

One idea doing the rounds is to redevelop as a Native Android App that connects to D365, but I am not seeing much info online about people doing that or of how that compares to a Canvas Power App. Anyone here have experience of building native Android Apps that connect to D365CE? 

The App needs to create and update records as well as read, and be pretty much 'real time' (two field staff could try to update details for the same job, so there need to be checks about whether a record has changed since it was last read by the App before an Update is performed) so I think this needs to connect via the API and not to a SQL 'mirror' of the data (a trick that has worked well when we only need to read).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MayankP
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

There are quite few companies which already done this, 

I have used resco app ( https://www.resco.net/dynamics-365/ ) for this in past as well, see if this helps or gives any idea.. you can book free demo or 30 days trial on their web site..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MayankP
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

There are quite few companies which already done this, 

I have used resco app ( https://www.resco.net/dynamics-365/ ) for this in past as well, see if this helps or gives any idea.. you can book free demo or 30 days trial on their web site..

PaulD1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks @MayankP - sorry for delayed response, family has all been ill this week.

Good to see that a company has managed to build native Android apps that work with D365 but I was really hoping for an overview of how we could build such Apps ourselves so we can evaluate replacing our existing canvas Power App.

We have a very specific task-flow (so solution needs to be highly tailored, not generic) that needs to run on Android devices and canvas Power Apps have proven quite poor for the requirement.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (2,199)