cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SandraSoniec
Helper II
Helper II

Connections can only assign one connection role

Hello, I am considering the use of connections in my app and imported CDM connection and connection role entities to my solution. It is my understanding that you could assign a role to each of the connected records to describe the relationship, e.g. Doktor - Patient.

Using the Main Information Form -  I could only enter one role either for the "from" or "to" record but never both. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SandraSoniec 

The reason why the 2nd role gets deleted on the Connection is usually because you don't have the Matching Connection Roles set up on the Connection Role entity (the second screenshot).  Try add some Matching Connection Roles and see how that works out.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @SandraSoniec 

When you create a new Connection you see the Connect To tab by default.  On this tab you can set the role as Doctor (for example).  If you then click on the Details tab you can set the reciprocal role and set the Connected From role as Patient.

Annotation 2020-04-18 0857561.png

Additionally, you can also set up reciprocal Connection Roles to populate on the Details tab by default.  When you create a Connection Role you can set Matching Connection Roles.  In my example below, I have the Employee Connection role matched with the Employer Connection Role.  This mean that when I create a new Connection from an Account and set the Connected To as Employer then on the Details tab Employee will be automatically populated in the Connected From role.

I hop this makes sense.  Easiest way to understand is to give it a try.

Annotation 2020-04-18 0857562.png

-----

If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

@HSheild I have experienced trouble in the Details pane (your first screen shot). Anytime I entered something "As this role" in both pane, I could only store role rather than two, the entry in the other pane was always deleted. Will try harder including trying out connection roles. Thxs for your advice. 

Hi @SandraSoniec 

The reason why the 2nd role gets deleted on the Connection is usually because you don't have the Matching Connection Roles set up on the Connection Role entity (the second screenshot).  Try add some Matching Connection Roles and see how that works out.

View solution in original post

@HSheildWorks - Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,264)