cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheikx800
Helper II
Helper II

Convert or Replicate Table (Accidental Activity Table)

Hi All,

In my journey of creating an app and setting up my dataverse database, I have set up a couple of tables as 'Activity Tables' without fully understanding what they are or how they operate. Now being further down the line with the project and reaching the stage of configuring security and permissions, I now realise that you cant configure security roles individually for Activity Tables. A crushing rookie error.

My lack of knowledge and little success with searches leaves me with no other option but to delete and re-create the table. There is no data in any of these tables yet, so there is no real 'loss' other than the time it will take to re-create them (which is significant on one of them... there is a LOT of entities in one of them). With that said, I thought I would ask the brains trust before I spent 5-7hours on it.

Is it at all possible to:

A) Replicate the table entities into another table 

B) Clone the table while changing its type (from Activity to just a normal table)

C) Change the Activity table to a normal one (suspect I know the answer to this one)

D) Change the Activity table to permit the same security configuration options as a normal table

Just reiterating, this project is still in early development. There is no production app or data in the system. 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rampprakash
Super User
Super User

Hello @Sheikx800,

As mentioned by @GuidoPreite there is no OOB behavior to achieve the same. 

But 🙂 there is an XrmToolbox plugin called the Clone Field Definitions Plugin that can copy all your columns from one Table to another.

The Attributes Factory is a similar one where you can export out the columns of an existing entity, then create them for another table.

Before doing all Operations, you need to create your TABLE first.

Please mark as Answer if it is helpful and provide Kudos

Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnGNN3hdlKBOr6PXotskNLA
Blog : https://microsoftcrmtechie.blogspot.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GuidoPreite
Resolver III
Resolver III

you can't convert between normal and activity type after the creation.

You have two ways:

1) recreate the tables manually with all the included stuff

2) create the new table but save some time with the XrmToolBox tool called "Clone Field Definitions Plugin" that is able to copy fields from a table to another table (this tool just copy the columns, other things like scripts, form customizations are not considered)

hope it helps

Sheikx800
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you @GuidoPreite - Definitely not what I wanted to hear but certainly what I expected.

Most people would probably just get on with creating a new one, but I have over 200 fields in one of these tables so it was little crushing to consider re-doing that. That xrmToolbox plugin just might be my saving grace for that one. We often learn the hard way!

rampprakash
Super User
Super User

Hello @Sheikx800,

As mentioned by @GuidoPreite there is no OOB behavior to achieve the same. 

But 🙂 there is an XrmToolbox plugin called the Clone Field Definitions Plugin that can copy all your columns from one Table to another.

The Attributes Factory is a similar one where you can export out the columns of an existing entity, then create them for another table.

Before doing all Operations, you need to create your TABLE first.

Please mark as Answer if it is helpful and provide Kudos

Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnGNN3hdlKBOr6PXotskNLA
Blog : https://microsoftcrmtechie.blogspot.com

Thank you @rampprakash - Attributes Factory sounds extremely as it sounds like I could create a snapshot of the existing tables, delete them, and then re-create them. Which would be great for avoiding name changes and such. I am going to play with this in the next few days and mark a solution afterward.

Sheikx800
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks to you both for your responses. Giving the solution to @rampprakash for mentioning the Attributes Factory tool. It saved me a tremendous amount of time re-creating all those fields. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (3,708)