Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alastair
Advocate II
Advocate II

Create Cascading behaviour between 3 related tables

Hey

I am trying to configure 3 tables "Clients for Properties", "Properties" and "Processes for Property".  One Property can have multiple clients and multiple Processes.  

ClientProcessRelationship.PNG 

Within a Main Form for the Processes Table I would like users to be able to select first the related property and then select the Client, from a short list of Clients related to the Property.  I.e. When a user creating a new process record selects the Property "1 Main Street"  when they go to select a Client only the Clients associated to "1 Main Street" would be possible to select via a cascading dropdown/lookup.  

How would I best go about creating the cascading design in the Processes form?  If its not possible is an alternative design achieving similar possible?  

Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Alastair 

Yes, you can limit the results to be dependent on the Property.

Steps I did to accomplish:

1. Added Property Table
  2. Used Account table as my "Clients for Property" table and added Property lookup column to create the Many-to-1 to the Property table
  3. Added "Processes for Property" table
    1. Added Property lookup column to create Many-to-1 to Property table
    2. Added Client lookup column as lookup to the Account table (which would be your "Clients for Property")
  4. Updated main form on the "Processes for Property" to add the two fields to the form for the Client and the Property and then the trick is to go to the "Switch to Classic" on the form and you will go into the  definition of the Client field and set the "Related Records Filtering" portion to filter based on the selected Property
    dpoggemann_0-1632142481555.png

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Alastair 

Yes, you can limit the results to be dependent on the Property.

Steps I did to accomplish:

1. Added Property Table
  2. Used Account table as my "Clients for Property" table and added Property lookup column to create the Many-to-1 to the Property table
  3. Added "Processes for Property" table
    1. Added Property lookup column to create Many-to-1 to Property table
    2. Added Client lookup column as lookup to the Account table (which would be your "Clients for Property")
  4. Updated main form on the "Processes for Property" to add the two fields to the form for the Client and the Property and then the trick is to go to the "Switch to Classic" on the form and you will go into the  definition of the Client field and set the "Related Records Filtering" portion to filter based on the selected Property
    dpoggemann_0-1632142481555.png

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew
Alastair
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @dpoggemann 

Thanks with your steps I have got it working. Should have known to check the classic form editor for missing features in modern.  Hopefully Microsoft adds all the missing features to the modern experience soon.  

One last query. When clicking into the client field I currently have to hit 'Enter' for it to display all available records.  Is there a way to automatically display the available clients without having to hit enter?  

ClientDropDownSearch.PNG

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Alastair,

You have to click on the Magnifying Glass to apply the filter identified otherwise it will show the "Recent" which is not restricted.  No way to change this behavior.

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (3,067)