cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pires
Regular Visitor

Creating Custom Lead and opportunity in dataverse without sales Licensing

Good afternoon, 

Im trying to create a solution in Dataverse but since i don't have a sales license, i am unable to add the lead and opportunity entities(tables).

So i thought about creating them custom, is there any problem in doing so?

I remember that in Dynamics in the past if you had a team members licensing you were unable because of protocol violations.

I currently have the PowerApps plan 2 licensing. If i create the two custom entities will i have any problem in the future? 

Thank you in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ChrisPiasecki
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Pires,

As a general rule of thumb, as long as you're not blatantly recreating/stealing the exact functionality and then reselling it as your own solution, there should be no problem with going and recreating your own custom Sales entities, this is a common scenario as many organizations don't take advantage of enough out of box Sales features to justify purchasing the license. Keep in mind that trying to recreate most/all of the OOB sales functionality would cost much more in development than just simply licensing for it. 

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

With the new licensing model, there's no problem at all to re-create those entities/tables and functionality and use it for any purposes. The only thing I would question is: will it be more costly in total to re-create those and its functionality then to get the proper license and use the out-of-the-box Sales management? You'll need to consider build effort, opportunity cost, maintenance, new Microsoft features/updates, etc...

Cheers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisPiasecki
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Pires,

As a general rule of thumb, as long as you're not blatantly recreating/stealing the exact functionality and then reselling it as your own solution, there should be no problem with going and recreating your own custom Sales entities, this is a common scenario as many organizations don't take advantage of enough out of box Sales features to justify purchasing the license. Keep in mind that trying to recreate most/all of the OOB sales functionality would cost much more in development than just simply licensing for it. 

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

With the new licensing model, there's no problem at all to re-create those entities/tables and functionality and use it for any purposes. The only thing I would question is: will it be more costly in total to re-create those and its functionality then to get the proper license and use the out-of-the-box Sales management? You'll need to consider build effort, opportunity cost, maintenance, new Microsoft features/updates, etc...

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (1,694)