cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJC

Custom Lookup Fields in CDS not available in PowerApps

Running into issues migrating two lists from SharePoint to CDS - Donors and Donations. Donation list includes a Lookup field that references a name in the Donors list. I created both the Donors and Donations list as entities in CDS. Since the Get Data migration from a CSV extract of my SharePoint list imported the "lookup" field "Donor" in the Donation list as a simple text field, I proceeded to map each record to a new lookup field DonorLU in CDS (very tedious I might add as most mass copy/paste commands in Excel do not update cell value completely when editing the CDS lookup field in Excel).

In a PowerApps application connected to both the Donors and Donations CDS entities, I proceeded to create a gallery to list all of the Donations stored in CDS. Everything could be displayed fine except for, you guessed it, the lookup fields. Even choice fields worked fine. When I attempt to force the entity field name into a Gallery or Dropdown, I am allowed to select the Lookup field but it then reverts to the text field. Pre-defined CDS lookup fields (e.g. CreatedBy) resolve perfectly fine. So...why won't custom Lookup fields in CDS entities resolve in PowerApps galleries or dropdowns?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PJC

How did you map the lookup field? How did you reference the lookup field in the gallery? could you show me the code and screenshot?

I made a test just now, but don't have any issue you mentioned.

1. select the lookup field from the related entity table

2. in Gallery, the syntax to reference the lookup field value is ThisItem.'LookUpFieldName'. 'Field Name from Related Entity'. E.g. ThisItem.'Primary Contact'.'Full Name'

Snipaste_2020-04-08_11-30-56.pngSnipaste_2020-04-08_11-36-24.png

Please follow my steps to try again. If it still doesn't work, please share the steps and screenshots about what you have done and the error message you might meet.

Hope this helps.

Sik

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PJC

How did you map the lookup field? How did you reference the lookup field in the gallery? could you show me the code and screenshot?

I made a test just now, but don't have any issue you mentioned.

1. select the lookup field from the related entity table

2. in Gallery, the syntax to reference the lookup field value is ThisItem.'LookUpFieldName'. 'Field Name from Related Entity'. E.g. ThisItem.'Primary Contact'.'Full Name'

Snipaste_2020-04-08_11-30-56.pngSnipaste_2020-04-08_11-36-24.png

Please follow my steps to try again. If it still doesn't work, please share the steps and screenshots about what you have done and the error message you might meet.

Hope this helps.

Sik

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (1,452)