cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
packnology
Advocate III
Advocate III

Custom connector as data source for a Dataflow?

Hi,

I'm a new Power Apps user and I've been playing around with custom connectors. I've been able to create a connector with multiple GET methods to retrieve data from an on-premise application, and I've set up a connection instance. Now I want to be able to store the data retrieved from those GET methods in a database Entity. Using "Get Data" (Power Query) I can't see how to use my custom connector connection as a data source. Surely that's a fairly logical use for the custom connector? There's a "Web API" source, but I have to configure it again manually, and it only allows me to configure a single GET call for each instance. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Greg

5 REPLIES 5
pagonza
Community Support
Community Support

Hello @packnology 

Once you have your custom connector, you can use it inside a flow.

Once you are using the custom connector in a flow, you can select which data source you want to use the save the data, 

Hope this article can help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/custom-connectors/use-custom-connector-flow

P3Sven
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi!

I've the same problem with a Web API I would like to use to import some Big Data into my Common Data Service using "dataflow" together with Power Query as ETL-Tool. So its clear for me how to use my custom REST API connector with Power Automate, but how can I use it with dataflow?

2020-09-18 12_10_39-Power Apps.png

If there's no way to use the custom connector with Dataflow and Power-Query, how could I import "Big Data" with over 10.000 records into CDS without an Power Automate "Apply to each" step? Is there a way to import the json response directly without checking each row (Power Automate CDS connector offers just "Create a new record in entity")...

Hopefully you can understand my issue.

Cheers,

Sven

Hi @pagonza ,

do you have an idea about the dataflow topic?

BR,

Sven

Hi,

Have you had any luck using a custom connector in a dataflow.

Thanks

E

hjaf
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Sadly the terminology in the docs is ambiguous. Usually "Custom connectors" refers to connectors for Power Automate and Power Apps, while Dataflows (Power Query, that is also available in Dataverse, PowerBI, Excel and Datafactory) uses "Power Query connectors", (which is also referred to as "Custom Connectors for Power Query").

Custom connectors for Power Query are vastly different from Custom Connectors for power apps/automate, and are not nearly as simple to set up. You can create your own custom connectors for dataflows, but its not as low-code as the rest of power platform.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/installingsdk

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Users online (2,655)