cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powerapps_27
Helper I
Helper I

Dataverse Edit data in Excel - Copy Data in One Text Column to a Blank Lookup Column ERROR: Error publishing.  Could not retrieve new data from workbook

I am using the Dataverse "Edit data in Excel" feature as shown below.
Dataverse - Edit data in Excel.png
I have a Dataverse table that I need to copy the data in the Deal-Request-ID text col to the DRID lookup column which is currently blank for all rows.  I just tried to copy and paste the data as shown below but I got the error, "Error publishing.  Could not retrieve new data from workbook". Any ideas how to get rid of this error?  
DV AssignedUsers - Excel copy col to DRID col.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I dont recommend using excel online for mass updating lookup fields but if you do the way I have explained is the only supported way to update lookup fields. No that said and you still want to use excel then you could consider importing csv to update data or xml or using the configuration migration tool.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Moximox
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi

copy and paste to lookup field is not supported in edit excel data. You need to use the add-in by clicking the field. 

@Moximox - Thank you for your quick response.  Can you pls explain further the add-in you are referring to?  I am NOT using Dataverse for Teams, just reg DV.

For ref, here are the messages I get after clicking publish.
Dataverse - Edit data in Excel no chngs to publish.png

Thank you!

Yes. Simply don’t copy and paste into a lookup column in the excel but instead got to the cell and select the value available. Available Values will be made available via the excel dataverse addin you use to connect to the data. 

@Moximox - Thank you for your response.  Per the screenshot below, I had to scroll to locate the matching record in the Power Apps Office plugin and then click in the record.  Is this what you are recommending?  I have hundreds of records to update.   I have also been working on a Flow but have not reached a solution for that either.  I am hoping this can be done in Excel without manually adding the data as shown below.  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
DV AssignedUsers - Copy text to lookup.png

Not what I recommending but only supported way for lookup fields. 
mox

@Moximox - Thanks.  Not what you recommended?  Did I miss a solution other than "instead go to the cell and select the value available. Available Values will be made available via the excel dataverse addin you use to connect to the data." because that is exactly what I did?  Pls advise.

I dont recommend using excel online for mass updating lookup fields but if you do the way I have explained is the only supported way to update lookup fields. No that said and you still want to use excel then you could consider importing csv to update data or xml or using the configuration migration tool.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (1,177)