cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKreusburg
Frequent Visitor

Dataverse Environment

I'm creating environments in Dataverse (development, quality, production), is there any way to synchronize data between environments? If I'm testing a quality improvement, but I need the production data, can I bring the production data to quality? if yes, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@MKreusburg 

Is the 3 environments currently aligned in terms of the customization and configuration?

Best way if the environments are matching in terms of Customization and configuration (Metadata) is to Copy Environment would be the way forward but you need be cautious using it because it can overwrite any new changes on lower environments (Dev and Testing)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/copy-environment

If you want to Copy data from prod to Test with affecting the metadata , you can consider Kingwaysoft or maybe you can just use export and import excel sheets.. Also the XRMToolbox contains an amazing tool that helps copying data across environments Data Transporter Tool

https://www.xrmtoolbox.com/plugins/Colso.Xrm.DataTransporter/

Hope this helps you!

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@MKreusburg 

Is the 3 environments currently aligned in terms of the customization and configuration?

Best way if the environments are matching in terms of Customization and configuration (Metadata) is to Copy Environment would be the way forward but you need be cautious using it because it can overwrite any new changes on lower environments (Dev and Testing)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/copy-environment

If you want to Copy data from prod to Test with affecting the metadata , you can consider Kingwaysoft or maybe you can just use export and import excel sheets.. Also the XRMToolbox contains an amazing tool that helps copying data across environments Data Transporter Tool

https://www.xrmtoolbox.com/plugins/Colso.Xrm.DataTransporter/

Hope this helps you!

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here
mjburley
Resolver II
Resolver II

Carrying on from @Mira_Ghaly's comment above with copying environments, this is what i do.

I create any changes in the dev environment, and when ready package them up in a solution. Then I copy production (including all data) over the test environment , import my solution from dev into the test environment and do the testing.

This is the simplest way to ensure that the test will be exactly the same as when pushed to production.

After testing is complete, I then copy prod over test with no data, to ensure customer data is not left in a test environment.

MKreusburg
Frequent Visitor

@Mira_Ghaly @mjburley 

Thanks guys for the help.

I still don't have the environments created, I only have one in production, I'm looking at best practices before creating, and how these processes work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (2,947)