cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ricchiuto
Frequent Visitor

Dataverse Fields Not Available For Mapping

I'm trying to import three simple tables from Excel into Dataverse. Each table has two columns, one with a Code/ID, one with a Description (human-readable name). I've created the tables in Dataverse within the context of a Solution. When I try to import the tables from Excel, only the system-created columns appear for mapping. I'm mapping the Description to the Name field. This works fine. But I've added a Code/ID field (called Item Code) and it will not show up for me to map from Excel.

What am I missing here?

I also tried adding a fourth table called Test_Item with the same scenario. In this instance, the additional Test_Item Code field was showed up and mapped properly. I don't know what I'm missing. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AhmedSalih
Super User
Super User

Hello, @ricchiuto, It seems to me that you are using Import from Excel within the Dataverse table? If that is the case, I recommend that you try to use the Dataflows as they have less issues when it comes to importing data into Dataverse. 

I have THIS TUTORIAL that cover the full process. Let me know if you have any further question about the tutorial.

If my reply helped you, please give a 👍 , & if it solved your issue, please 👍 & Accept it as the Solution to help other community members find it more.

I am primarily available on weekdays from 6-10 PM CT and 5-10 PM CT on weekends.

Visit my Blog: www.powerplatformplace.com

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gowrihalan04
Helper V
Helper V

@ricchiuto All the fields should be available for mapping(OOB and custom) can you put a screenshot of your excel and and also mapping from dynamics?

AhmedSalih
Super User
Super User

Hello, @ricchiuto, It seems to me that you are using Import from Excel within the Dataverse table? If that is the case, I recommend that you try to use the Dataflows as they have less issues when it comes to importing data into Dataverse. 

I have THIS TUTORIAL that cover the full process. Let me know if you have any further question about the tutorial.

If my reply helped you, please give a 👍 , & if it solved your issue, please 👍 & Accept it as the Solution to help other community members find it more.

I am primarily available on weekdays from 6-10 PM CT and 5-10 PM CT on weekends.

The files contain employee info, but they all have this general format. All are two columns, two files use CodeDescription, the other uses Item No Description. 

I'm using the default Primary Column of Name, trying to map Description there. And then I've added one column for Code/Item No respectively, and it will now show up in the available fields for mapping.

Could it have something to do with type mismatch? Or the type of environment (Sandbox)?

The custom column for Code/Item No is of type Text.

ricchiuto_0-1664896927974.png

ricchiuto_1-1664897119201.png

ricchiuto_2-1664897201705.png

@AhmedSalih thanks for the reply.

I am using the Import from within the table.

I tried Dataflows initially, but was unable to create a Dataflow from within a Solution. Is there any implication of adding an existing Dataflow from outside of the Solution? 

Hello,@ricchiuto , not at all. "When you add your dataflows in a solution, their definitions become portable, making it easier to move them from one environment to another, saving time required to author the dataflow."

Note

• Only dataflows created in Power Platform environments can be solution-aware.
  • The data loaded by dataflows to their destination isn't portable as part of solutions, only the dataflow definitions are. To recreate the data after a dataflow was deployed as part of a solution, you need to refresh the dataflow.

So, I would highly recommend using the DataFlows.

If my reply helped you, please give a  , & if it solved your issue, please  & Accept it as the Solution to help other community members find it more.

👍

This seems to be the best way forward. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (3,605)