Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnMarkPerez
Helper I
Helper I

Dataverse - Power BI Display Options

Hello guys.

My organization recently utilize dataverse as a data source. We have created security roles and profiles, field security. We are happy with the "back end".

However the "front end" on Power BI, where user chooses the dataverse table is where the problem is. User are able to see all of the dataverse table even if they have not permission to load the data.

We want to remove all the standard tables and tables user do not have permission from the display option. IS THIS POSSIBLE, HOW?

3 REPLIES 3
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @JohnMarkPerez ,

You will need to build row level security in the Power BI report to control access to the data in the backend Dataverse.  The normal connector to Dataverse through Power BI utilizes a single connection which will have all rights, not specific to the user.  If you do want to enforce the Dataverse security then you can utilize the DirectQuery approach as mentioned here:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/data-platform/data-platform-powerbi-connector?tabs... 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Hello dpog
We already have table, column and raw security in place. My problem is that a user can see all tables in Power BI even if they only have access to 4 tables. I want my user to only see the 4 tables they have access to, when they get data from dataverse.

JohnMarkPerez_0-1657707951811.png

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @JohnMarkPerez ,

Is this when actually building the reports or displaying the reports?  In the "build" side from Power BI Desktop, the user will only be able to view records from the tables they have security for in Dataverse if the connection they are using is their own credentials.  They will still see all tables in the list that I know of...  

On the Power BI report side, you need to control access to the records based on the row level security as discussed or even create different reports for different users with specific tables in each report. 

You might want to post in the Power BI user group and see if they have any additional thoughts.

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Government Carousel

New forum: GCC, GCCH, DoD - Federal App Makers (FAM)

In response to the unique and evolving requirements of the United States public sector, Microsoft has created Power Apps US Government.

Users online (1,923)