cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JM_Giagnoli
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dataverse and Power Apps availability on private cloud in Europe ?

For security and compliance reasons, we cannot use cloud services delivered by an american company (i.e. Microsoft) and I am looking for alternatives: could someone tell me if Microsoft Dataverse+PowerPlatform can be provided through a private cloud owned and managed by a European company (with headquarter in Europe or in Switzerland) ?

By "PowerPlatform", I mean the following technologies: Power Apps, Power Apps Portals, Power Automate, Power BI and Power Virtual Agents.

Thkx for feedback.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The Power Platform does support "Bring your own key" so you can insure that you have the key and Microsoft does not. Manage the encryption key - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs But if that doesn't meet your requirements then you won't be able to use the Power Platform.  It does not have a version that can be run on a private cloud.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You can't run the Power Platform on a private cloud.  You can build your Power Platform environment in a regional data center located in your region. Guaranteeing that your data and applications all run within your region is normally sufficient for compliance.  It will still be Microsoft (an American company) but it will be entirely hosted in your region.  Take a look at this article: Compliance and data privacy - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

Thks for your reply.

Building a Power Platform environment in a regional data center does not guaranty that Microsoft will not get access to our customers' personal infos (due to the US Cloud Act).

As a Swiss public administration located in Geneva canton (in Switzerland) we must comply with the LIPAD law that is very restrictive and forbid storing personal data in the cloud if we are not able to encrypt it with encryptions keys under our sole control.

To be more precise, today Dataverse/Power platform is encrypted end-to-end and at store but the keys are known by Microsoft... and unfortunately this is not suitable for us!

The Power Platform does support "Bring your own key" so you can insure that you have the key and Microsoft does not. Manage the encryption key - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs But if that doesn't meet your requirements then you won't be able to use the Power Platform.  It does not have a version that can be run on a private cloud.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (1,082)