cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhamza
Helper III
Helper III

Dataverse relationship to a data inside a column ?

Good morning,

I want to do the following as Table/Column ;

1 ; Subcontrator Company name

2 ; Subcontrator - Field of Expertise ( Multiples Choices { Cabling  or Computer } )

3 ; Subcontrator - Field of Expertise - Cabling ( Multiples choices { Fiber, Copper, Coax } )

4; Subcontrator - Field of Expertise - Computer ( Multiples choices { Windows or Mac } )

For 1 & 2, it's easy, 1 table, 2 column.

But how do I do a relationship between a choices of a column in point 2 and point 3&4 ?

How should I structure the Dataverse table ? 

5 REPLIES 5
Sid_Jafri
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @rhamza ,

I think choices column won't work what you are trying to achieve. It will be better that you create a table and have a lookup column

Please Thumbs up if my post helped you solve your issue.

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Not a straight forward one, depends on a number of factors

Model Driven App or Canvas App?

Do you need the Cabling and Computing choice in the same field?

Usually would avoid Choices for this type structure and use Lookups instead

In a Model Driven App you might do something like the following Tables:

• Field of Expertise (records Cabling, Computer)
  • Expertise Type
    • Lookup to Field of Expertise
    • Records for Fibre, Copper etc, Windows, Mac etc with the Lookup populated to the relevant Field of Expertise
  • Sub Contractor Expertise
    • Lookup to Contact (or Account or Customer depending on your needs)
    • Lookup to Field of Expertise
    • Lookup to Expertise Type
    • (model driven app form) set the Lookup to Expertise Type to be related record filtering on the Field of Expertise lookup.  (in a Canvas app you would need to apply this filtering in a different way)
  • On Contact (or Account or both depending on your needs) add a subgrid to Sub Contractor Expertise (to allow you to add multiple Expertises to a Contact/Account)

rhamza
Helper III
Helper III

@Fubar 

Thx for the quick reply, I was sure I posted a reply here but it appears I didnt...

For Field of Expertise, I am only able to select 1 of the 2, how would you manage this if the field of expertise would be both ?

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Add multiple Subcontractor Field of Expertise records - on the Contact record you will then get a list of their expertise's 

What you haven't mentioned is what type of App - Canvas or Model driven as the capabilities are different for each.

The issue that you have initially is that you are trying to do multiple multi choice option sets in a linked manner - and there is no out of the box way to accommodate the filtering you want.   If you needed to keep it as multi select option sets in a Model Driven App then you would need to manage a complex set of JavaScript to add and remove options based on what the user had selected (and deselected) or writing a PCF Control to do similar.

I was thinking structuring my database first then doing a canvas apps but since it may trigger several other business rules I might be ending up using model driven.

I'll spend a few hours today on this keeping in mind your input.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (75,783)