cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lkel

Dataverse search through File type - how to make it work?

Currently trying to enable Dataverse search across file fields as described here:

Microsoft Dataverse search can search through file data type | Microsoft Docs

There seems to be conflicting information across the docs, some articles (Search for tables and rows by using Dataverse search - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs) still suggest File fields cannot be searched, with others suggesting they can.

In practise, it seems to not be possible - you can't add a File field to a quick find view (which is supposedly necessary to ensure the field is indexed), and it doesn't seem to be included when you add the entity as a whole (field isn't shown in "Showing 1 results based on fields: field name etc"). Searching via the content of PDF/Word files attached returns no results either.

Would be great to understand if anyone else has managed to get this working - and if so, how? Also the documentation does need to be updated - it's quite conflicting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Currently, file (PDF and Word) Dataverse search is only supported via V2 Web API and requires you to explicitly send that request.  It is not yet available within model-driven apps with global search (top search) and with OOB System/Personal views, grids or lookups.

I submitted the feature request here and MS is aware of this: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Ability-to-search-for-files-stored-in-Dataverse...

Hope this clarifies!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @lkel ,

This was supposed to be released in October based on the timeline but I am pretty sure this has not been released yet and their is no "Preview" either.  The checkmark does not show here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2021wave2/data-platform/planned-feature... for this functionality so I think we will need to wait and see yet how this will be configured once it is released.

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Hi @dpoggemann ,

Looks like the checkmark is there now.. I reviewed your post early this week and it wasn't there, so I'll check again and see if it's possible. Strange.

@dpoggemann - checked again today, still not getting any results and can't see any way to add the field explicitly, nor does it show in the searched fields. Nothing appears to have changed - perhaps it is not live on the version available to me.

lkbh
Frequent Visitor

Bumping this one up - have still been able to get this to work properly. Anyone had any luck?

SanketVerma

Is there any update on this? Facing the same issue could not find a way to make this work

Currently, file (PDF and Word) Dataverse search is only supported via V2 Web API and requires you to explicitly send that request.  It is not yet available within model-driven apps with global search (top search) and with OOB System/Personal views, grids or lookups.

I submitted the feature request here and MS is aware of this: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Ability-to-search-for-files-stored-in-Dataverse...

Hope this clarifies!

@EricRegnier Hi Eric - how do you send this request via the API? We can't figure out how to do it. Have you been able to?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Users online (2,070)