cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dataverse
Helper III
Helper III

Dataverse

I need to create a dataverse database.  I need to get licenses since I am getting the message that the user does not have  a license that allows environment creation when I try to create  a database in the url admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @dataverse ,

As far as Dataverse for Teams vs. Dataverse, please review the following discussing differences.  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/teams/data-platform-compare 

Normally if I am replacing Access databases I am using model-based Power Apps which will require a full Dataverse (get with licenses like Power Apps Per User and Power Apps Per App) vs. the Dataverse for Teams (which comes with many of the Office 365 licenses).

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
dataverse
Helper III
Helper III

I have a office 365 account

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @dataverse ,

There are two primary licenses you would look at here... 

1. Power Apps Per App license - This is the most basic license and provides an App token that can be assigned to a single environment for a user to utilize.  It provides a single app (or portal) for a single user in a single environment.  The cost of this license is $5 (MSRP) per month / per user.  Note, if you allocate a single one of these in your tenant then you will be granted 5 GB of database storage where you can create sandbox and production environments.  Each additional user is granted an additional 50 MB of storage as well.
  2. Power Apps Per User license - This allows the user assigned to the license to unlimited applications (and portals) across unlimited environments.  The cost of this license is $20 per user / month.  Note, first one granted here will push the base allocation of database storage in the tenant to 10 GB.  If you already have a Power Apps Per App it will only add 5 GB vs. another 10 GB.  Each additional user is granted 250 MB of storage as well.

Full details available in licensing guide:  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=2085130&clcid=0x409 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

I have attached a screenshot. Does this mean that I do not have admin access to create the dataverse database. 

I have to migrate a big access db to dataverse.  Do I need to use teams or standalone dataverse as shown in my screenshot above.

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @dataverse ,

You will need to have a license to create the environment and normally you would setup your role in Azure Active Directory as "Power Platform Administrator".  This will allow you to create the environment.  

Assigning the Power Apps Per App license to the user is a bit different if that is what  you have purchased... https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/about-powerapps-perapp 

Thanks,
Drew
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @dataverse ,

As far as Dataverse for Teams vs. Dataverse, please review the following discussing differences.  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/teams/data-platform-compare 

Normally if I am replacing Access databases I am using model-based Power Apps which will require a full Dataverse (get with licenses like Power Apps Per User and Power Apps Per App) vs. the Dataverse for Teams (which comes with many of the Office 365 licenses).

Thanks,
Drew

I am trying to migrate access to dataverse. And according to the documentation it can be done from access if there is a dataverse connector in access and for that I need to  update  Access build to 16.0.15128.20248 or later, and restart Access to take advantage of the Access Connector for Dataverse and Power Platform. I am unable to find a KB download for that.  Is that download available. I will post a seperate question.

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @ChrisPiasecki ,

Can you reply here to @dataverse on the migration from Access to Dataverse?  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/data-platform/migrate-access-to-dataverse

Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Users online (1,872)