Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nass_
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic work orders

Hi all

I have a question in creating my dataverse model:

Scenario:

We have a Backoffice (model driven app) and a mobile app for the technicians.

In dataverse we have an inventory of clients, items, locations, and work orders

The Backoffice needs to create work orders for each day, for the technicians (these are different for each client).

However, when the technician comments that a new item needs to be added to the work order, the Backoffice will need to add certain items to that work order, so the next inspection, the work order is updated with the new information.

This may look like a dumb question but I am a little lost here.

How can I facilitate the data model so that the work orders can be edited (add or remove) without always changing the data table.

Because there are multiple clients, and each client will have a different work order since they have different items to be inspected.

Thank you in advance & kind regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nass_ 

This is best practice from my background and provides great flexibility to add fields on that intersect entity as I defined.  

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nass_ 

What do you mean "without always changing the data table" in your question above?  I am guessing based on your question you are looking for something like this model?

dpoggemann_0-1642099821734.png

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew
Nass_
Frequent Visitor

Hi @dpoggemann 

Thank you for your response, 

Yes so basically I was thinking I would create an extra table for "work order items", in which we can store the client name, item details, inspection value and a reference with a work order ID. That refers to another table containing Work Orders.

That way, we can link the "work item list" based on the work order ID to the main "work order" table.

But I don't really know if this is best practice ?

Thank you for your help on this.

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nass_ 

This is best practice from my background and provides great flexibility to add fields on that intersect entity as I defined.  

Thanks,
Drew
Nass_
Frequent Visitor

@dpoggemann 

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience ! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (1,808)