cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamW
Helper III
Helper III

Edit File within Model Driven App?

I currently have a SharePoint list that includes a PowerApp SharePoint form where users can click on the attachment and edit it within the form and simply close it and the file saves to SharePoint.

I am converting this to a model driven app and I am using SharePoint integration but it seems that the file downloads to my local machine when I click on it.  Is there a way to simply click on the file and made edits?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @AdamW,

Oh I see. You mentioned that you configured SharePoint (document management) integration, didn't realize you were using a File type column. I tested with the Document Management Integration and the files in the Documents tab will open in the browser. I don't think the file column control will open in the browser, just download like you are experiencing.

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisPiasecki
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @AdamW,

What kind of file types and what browser? If you're using Edge, there is an option in browser Settings > Downloads > Open Office files in the browser. This will open the files in the browser for edit instead of downloading to your workstation.

https://mspoweruser.com/edge-view-office-files-without-downloading-them/

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

AdamW
Helper III
Helper III

They are excel files.

Interesting.  I didn't know about the setting and I have the setting set to open in the browser but that isn't what is happening in my model driven app.  The file just downloads to my machine.  The file is located in a File column in Dataverse.

I don't really want to open it in the browser.  I want it to open in the Excel app just like it does in my SharePoint PowerApp form.

Hi @AdamW,

Oh I see. You mentioned that you configured SharePoint (document management) integration, didn't realize you were using a File type column. I tested with the Document Management Integration and the files in the Documents tab will open in the browser. I don't think the file column control will open in the browser, just download like you are experiencing.

---

AdamW
Helper III
Helper III

You just solved my problem.  I did not understand how SharePoint integration worked.  The documents go into a Documents tables, not a file column!  Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (3,026)