Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jronash
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Edit rich text attachment permissions for model-driven app

Hello,

I have a model-driven app that (among other things) can create email templates that can be sent out in bulk.  I have added a rich text editor component to the table column that saves the Body of the email, so that users can format text and insert links and images.

When they insert an image, there are two options - one is to use a Web Resource, and the other is to upload a file.

When users select to upload a file, it doesn't show up in the resulting emails that are sent out.  It looks like the problem is that there is security on the location where those image uploads are saved, so anonymous access is blocked.

Is it possible to change the permissions for those images so that they will show up properly in emails?  I have found instructions on how to accomplish this in a portal, but my solution is not in a portal, and I can't find equivalent settings.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jronash
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Thanks @Fubar, those links were very helpful in understanding how this works.

After reading through them, my current understanding is that there is no way to make the rich text images available to anonymous users.  And therefore, we can't use them in email templates.

I could go in and change which table the the rich text images are stored in, but as long as it is in a Dataverse table (which seems to be my only option), there's no way to make it available to the general public.

The exception to this is that it appears to be possible if you are using a portal.  But since I'm not, I think this is the end of the road for this idea.

If someone knows of a way to do this that I haven't thought of, I'd be interested to hear it!

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@Jronash 

Let me make sure I understand you correctly, do you store the image that you want to display on your email in a dataverse File column?

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

@Mira_Ghaly 

Actually, part of the problem is that I don't know where they are being saved.

All I did was add a rich text component to one of my text fields. That allows users to upload images from their computers and embed them in the text field. But I don't know where the uploaded pictures are saved or how to make them public.

Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@Jronash I will then have to replicate and try this at my end 

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here
Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage
Jronash
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Thanks @Fubar, those links were very helpful in understanding how this works.

After reading through them, my current understanding is that there is no way to make the rich text images available to anonymous users.  And therefore, we can't use them in email templates.

I could go in and change which table the the rich text images are stored in, but as long as it is in a Dataverse table (which seems to be my only option), there's no way to make it available to the general public.

The exception to this is that it appears to be possible if you are using a portal.  But since I'm not, I think this is the end of the road for this idea.

If someone knows of a way to do this that I haven't thought of, I'd be interested to hear it!

Thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (1,642)