Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freddiejoseph1
Helper IV
Helper IV

Exporting dataverse/CDS table to SharePoint list

Hi all,

I have a powerapp which allows users to submit information about tickets they have been working on throughout the day. That information is stored in the dataverse because the app is built and runs within MS Teams. I was just wondering what the best way of exporting all the entries/rows into a SharePoint list is?

I know I will probably need to use PowerAutomate but can anyone guide me how to do a bulk transfer of all the rows which have already been collected?

Thanks,

Freddie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the feedback. I have managed to get all the past entries over from CDS to SharePoint now. I am trying to now create a reoccurring flow every Friday to upload the weeks entries. I have created another post on that here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/CDS-Dataverse-Filter-by-the-last-5-days/m-p/84400... I am really close to getting it right (I think) so any help would be much appreciated.

I will create a flow to delete all of the entries from SharePoint that are older than 4 weeks old to avoid the list getting too big 🙂

Thanks,

Freddie

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cchannon
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If it's a one-time transfer you're after, I would just Excel export and import: it isn't worth taking the time to try to build something in PowerAutomate for it.

If you're looking for ongoing synchronization, you will need to make a lot of considerations including how you handle Creates, Updates, and Deletes when they happen in each system: what do you sync and when and under which conditions? Make sure you've taken the time to map all that out before you even begin to think about a technical design.

At that point, you can start to build out your solution. PA will probably do the job well, given its excellent trigger flexibility and baked-in SharePoint and Dataverse connectors. Decide your trigger (scheduled or event-based) decide your filtering and logic, then write your Flow.

Lastly, a word of warning if you try to operate this at scale: SharePoint Online is not well-optimized for bulk importing. It has baked-in throttling controls which drop down on you like a lead weight if:

1. you aren't appropriately decorating your CSOM call headers and
  2. you are hitting the API too many times in too short a period

This matters to you because PowerAutomate's connectors probably (not sure, just guessing here) do not contain the aforementioned decorators so if your volume ever gets high (there is no definitive number for this, but it could be as low as a few thousand transactions in an hour) SharePoint may lock you out temporarily for exceeding its throttle controls. This would result in unexpected failures when your job tries to keep writing to SP, but has been locked out. So, before you go down this road, make sure you know what your expected traffic level is and have plans for how you will gracefully handle failures if there's any chance you'll hit them.

Thanks for the feedback. I have managed to get all the past entries over from CDS to SharePoint now. I am trying to now create a reoccurring flow every Friday to upload the weeks entries. I have created another post on that here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/CDS-Dataverse-Filter-by-the-last-5-days/m-p/84400... I am really close to getting it right (I think) so any help would be much appreciated.

I will create a flow to delete all of the entries from SharePoint that are older than 4 weeks old to avoid the list getting too big 🙂

Thanks,

Freddie

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,144)