cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bilal684
Regular Visitor

Fetching connectors through the dataverse webapi

Hello everyone,

I am trying to automate the setup of connection references through DevOps so we can easily deploy our Cloud Processes (Flows) from an environment to another. I plan to do it through powershell.

For that, I believe I need need to fetch the connector entity but when I do so through postman, I receive an empty json list although I do have plenty of connectors on powerapps. Am I missing something? Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong entity?

bilal684_0-1611584712174.png

I want to search for the connection so I can update a connection reference through the api to automate my deployment process.

bilal684_1-1611584830462.png

Thank you 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
EricRegnier
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @bilal684,

Are you using the new Connection Reference? This should simplify your deployments. I simply include the connection references in my solution to automate that process. More info: 

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-the-new-solution-import-experience-with-connec... 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/data-platform/create-connection-reference

If you're using the CDS (current environment) connector then it's even simpler as you don't need to setup any connection in the target environment, but for others all you'll need is to set them up once prior import.

Hope this helps...

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your reply. I am using connection references and the CDS (current environment) connector. The issue I am facing is that I would like to automatically import my cloud flows solution into an environment through DevOps release pipelines. For that, I've added all my flows in one solution along with a connection reference (by the way, my connection reference also used CDS (current environment) connector).

The challenge I'm facing is that right now, the connection reference is setup right before importing the solution, through the UI in PowerApps and I did not find a way, through API calls, to set that connection reference. I was wondering if there was a way to do that using API calls so we would configure that within our release pipeline in DevOps. 

Did anyone ever face this challenge before? I'm curious to see if there's a way of doing this through API calls.

Thank you,

Yes, CDS (current environment) do use connections in the backend but there's actually no manually setup steps to perform. If you look at the flow, it's actually not tagged to any connection...

I have a similar setup as you with auto-deployments via Azure DevOps for solutions containing cloud flows and there's no manually steps for CDS (current environment) connector. That said, I'm confused by what is meant by  "the connection reference is setup right before importing the solution". It should import the 1st time to any target environment. What build tools are you using (I'm using Power Platform build tools)? What error message/log are you getting?

Cheers

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your reply. I am currently using the Dynamics 365 Build Tools. I was not aware that there was Power Platform build tools. I will check these out.

Basically what I mean by "the connection reference is setup right before importing the solution" is that when you manually import a managed solution that contains a connection reference, the only way to set that connection reference is when you import the managed solution in power apps, you will be prompted to set it. I wanted to import the flows using DevOps but couldn't figure out how that connection reference would be setup.

Thank you, I'll check the power platform build tools to see if something can be done with that and reply back here.

EricRegnier
Super User II
Super User II

Cool, check it out. With the Power Platform build tools, there’s no manually step and won’t be prompt for connection references to “Common Data Service (current environment)” connector.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,573)