cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gpgeorge
Frequent Visitor

Find leading words in a string in a calculated field in a Dataverse table

I need to check book titles to determine whether they start with "The " or "A ".

It seems impossible. I can find "The" and "A", but that includes other words, such as "Theory" or "Access", which I don't want. 

Is it possible to use TrimLeft to find "The " or "A "? If not, what workarounds are available.

This will result in a sortable field that doesn't put all of the titles that start with "A " at the top and "The " together in latter part of the list. 

5 REPLIES 5
AhmedSalih
Super User
Super User

@gpgeorge, are you using the StartsWith( Text, StartText )?

gpgeorge
Frequent Visitor

I didn't see that option. I'll look again, though, thanks.

The option I did see in the calculated field editor was "BeginsWith", which doesn't accept the trailing spaces.

This is what I can see in the Calculated Field editor. 

gpgeorge_0-1656693557344.png

Note that if I try to include a trailing space after The, I either get a syntax error or it is trimmed off. 

gpgeorge_1-1656693710274.png

@gpgeorge, Okey, a work around will be using a Power Automate Flow that is triggered when Dataverse record is Added, Modified, and use this expression to update the value of a Text Column in your table:

Or(startsWith(variables('varString'),'The '),startsWith(variables('varString'),'A '))

Note, the result of this formula is true or false. If it starts with "The " or "A ", it will give you true, else it will give you false.

Regards,
Ahmed
If my reply helped you, please give a 👍. And if it has solved your issue, please consider Accept it as the Solution to help other members in the community find it more.

gpgeorge
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, I was resigned to a work-around. I will try this and report back on how it works out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,436)