cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iwonder
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Help with Relationships

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

I'm just learning about Dataverse Relationships, I do have reasonable knowledge of SQL. I have several tables I want to relate. I have gone through the process of creating relationships but I don't think they are working as I expect.

Here is what I want.

Relationships.jpg

What is happening is when I relate Facilities to PriceListLookUp, a new column called Facilities is created in PriceListLookUp with no data in it. Then in my PowerApps app, I am not able to return any data.

How do I relate Facilities.Facilities to PriceListLookUp.PriceListFacility?

I think Dataverse only relates the Primary Name Columns from each table.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I've made some progress.

The key for me was not only updating the lookup field but also updating the key value in the related FacilityLookUp field (GUID). Once both fields were updated I was able to publish.

Note: When you click on a cell in the look up field, you get a grid of possible values on the right of the screen. Selecting one will populate that cell in the data table. So selecting a value for the FacilityLookUp column using this method also populates the Facility GUID field that is way further to the right in the table.

I hope this is helpful for someone... not very intuitive for beginners.

Thanks

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @iwonder ,

Yes, it will create a new column on the PriceListLookup for the Facilities if this is a 1:N relationship.  You will need to populate the PriceListLookup lookup column for the Facility with the value from that table (which is the primary name column on that table).  You could do this through adding the field to the form for the PriceListLookup and then it will allow you to select any Facility.  If you actually go to the Related tab in the Facilities you will be able to see the PriceListLookup as a related table, click on that and you can add there to as well and it will automatically populate the Facility field when creating the PriceListLookup.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hi @dpoggemann 

Thank you for the quick reply.

So there is no point in me keeping the PriceListFacility field if Dataverse makes the field for me?

I did try to populate that field with data by using the data drop down menu and selecting "Edit Data in Excel". I copied the values that are in the PriceListFacility column and pasted them into the new "Facilities" column Dataverse made. Then I tried to Publish the changes but nothing happens except it says Data Changes Analyzed. I've published other changes before so I know this process works.

I'm assuming I need values in this column so that I can have a relationship that works... just not sure how to get data in there easily.

Thanks

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @iwonder ,

The column on the PriceListLookup table should be a "Lookup" column to the Facilities table.  Please check to make sure this is setup in this fashion.  You can then edit in Excel and fill in the primary name field from the Facilities table in the lookup column on the PriceListLookup table and it will populate the relationship (unless you have duplicate name fields from the Facilities table, then it won't know which one to match).  Add the field to the PriceListLookup form and verify if you enter this field it should allow you to select from the Facilities table.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Relationships2.jpg

This is my PriceLookUp table, the "Many" side of things.

I can't seem to get any Facility names into the PriceListFacilities field (renamed it).

I tried from Excel but it doesn't detect any changes and therefore does not load anything to DataVerse. You can also see here, (Lookup) so it is a lookup field.

Relationships3.jpg

The values in the PriceListFacility column are the values that I need to link the Facilities table on. Its the name of the Facilities, which are in the Facilities Table.

Sorry if I'm missing something from your directions.

Thanks

Am I doing this correctly?

I'm continuing to try and solve this but no luck.

Here is what I think I need.

I have the facilities list. User selects a Facility, which limits the rows in PriceListLookUp. Then they can select a Price list based on the Facility selected. Once the Price List is Selected, I can return a list of items with prices.

Is this how the relationships are supposed to work?

Maybe I just start with the PriceListLookUp table and in my Canvas app I do a Distinct on the PriceListFacility column?

Thanks

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @iwonder ,

You initially were working on getting this setup in a model app (or directly in the Dataverse) right?  I want to make sure you have the relationship setup correctly before moving into the Canvas App side.

1. Were you able to set the field for the Facility directly on the PriceListLookup table from the Dataverse form?

From the Canvas App, the relationships you have setup you should be able to get the information the way you are looking to once we get the lookups populated 😀

Maybe send me a personal email and we could setup time to do a quick screen share to walk through?

Thanks,

Drew

Hi @dpoggemann 

I was able to set up the relationship. I first created the relationship in the Facilities table doing a One to Many. It created the empty column in the PriceListLookUp table but I was not able to populate the new column with any values using Excel (as above). So I deleted the relationship and tried making it from the PriceListLookUp table doing a Many to One relationship. The same field was created in PriceListLookUp and I was still not able to add any data to it.

I do not have a model driven app (never made one). Is that the "Forms" screen in Dataverse?

I have a consultant that happened to be coming in today. He's willing to share a bit of his time. If I don't get more traction I'll come back with more questions. If I do, I'll post my solution... here's hoping.

Thanks again for your help. Really appreciated.

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @iwonder ,

Let me know if your consultant doesn't address the issue and we can discuss.  Yes, I am talking about the "Forms" piece in Dataverse where you can edit the form and add that lookup field and then you can Create new record and see if you can set that field appropriately...  Model Apps is the next step where you combine the Forms, Views, Charts, Dashboards etc. into an application with navigation etc...

Thanks,

Drew

Hi @dpoggemann 

I have to admit... I gave up on Relationships. Maybe it will haunt me later but for now... I gave up.

Thanks for your assistance

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (944)