cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TVlasic
Advocate I
Advocate I

How difficult is it to move from a Power Apps CDS to D365 Customer Service CDS?

If I create some Power Apps (and the underlying CDS) to take care of some business processes and then later decide to move to a Dynamics 365 application (Customer Service for example), will I end up with two CDS environments? Is there an easy way to add any Power Apps I have previously created to the D365 Environment or will I have to recreate them in the new environment? I thought I read a cryptic note somewhere that You can't "upgrade" a Power Apps to CDS to a D365 CDS but it didn't say what the option was if you already have a PA CDS and then create a D365 CDS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Although CDS and D365 share the same platform, the main D365 apps have dependencies on components that are only installed when a D365 instance is commissioned, and so there is (currently) no way to convert a CDS instance to D365. I think this is unlikely to change, as the dependencies are probably too complex.

So, if you've started with CDS, then want to move to D365, then you would need to migrate across. As per the previous replies, this involves the customisations (relatively easy) and data (maybe less so). Two other things to consider:

1. It might be viable to keep 2 separate instances; 1 CDS and 1 D365, if there little overlap of data or users between them. If there is some data to share, you could either copy that using Power Automate, or maybe use a virtual entity in one instance to provide a link to data in the other instance. Either of these option are only really viable if the data is read-only in one instance
  2. If you're starting from scratch, and know that you will be moving to D365, it may be best to start with a D365 instance. There will be licensing considerations, but while you're using it only as CDS, then you won't need client licenses for the D365 apps, and can probably work with the D365 Team Member license, though you'll need to check the overall license implications 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @TVlasic ,

I'm pretty sure that there is not a path for you to convert/upgrade your CDS environment to a Dynamics 365 environment.  This would be quite a nice feature though and you could put create an Idea for the product team to look into.

You could use a Solution to move your customisations from the CDS environment to the Dynamics 365 environment.  At the end of the day they are both just CDS environments but a Dynamics 365 environment has more pre-configured apps within it.  The only problem with this is that your data will not be moved to the Dynamics 365 environment with the Solution.  You would need to use the Excel Export/Import functionality, dataflow or another method to migrate the data across.

-----

If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

MMostafa
MVP

Hey,

You can certainly create a solution on your current CDS only instance that includes your current Apps and other components and then deploy it to a Dynamics 365 instance.

However, your current CDS only instance cannot as of today be upgraded to Dynamics 365. The difference here is data. You can migrate your solution and its components to a new Dynamics 365 instance fairly easily but you will have to have a proper data migration exercise to migrate your data from your current CDS instance to the new Dynamics 365 instance.

The "cryptic" note you mention is just saying that you cannot upgrade a CDS instance to become a Dynamics 365 via a click of a button - in which case you would not need to migrate data or even move your solution components. It would be great but it is not available at the moment.

Hope this helps.

EricRegnier
Super User II
Super User II

As @HSheild stated, there are no ways out-of-the-box and you'll have to migrate your configuration and data. You can try lodging a Microsoft Support Request via the Power Platform admin center (https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/support), but I wouldn't get my hopes up. It would depend on the severity/criticality/importance of the environment in question.

Hope this helps!

Although CDS and D365 share the same platform, the main D365 apps have dependencies on components that are only installed when a D365 instance is commissioned, and so there is (currently) no way to convert a CDS instance to D365. I think this is unlikely to change, as the dependencies are probably too complex.

So, if you've started with CDS, then want to move to D365, then you would need to migrate across. As per the previous replies, this involves the customisations (relatively easy) and data (maybe less so). Two other things to consider:

1. It might be viable to keep 2 separate instances; 1 CDS and 1 D365, if there little overlap of data or users between them. If there is some data to share, you could either copy that using Power Automate, or maybe use a virtual entity in one instance to provide a link to data in the other instance. Either of these option are only really viable if the data is read-only in one instance
  2. If you're starting from scratch, and know that you will be moving to D365, it may be best to start with a D365 instance. There will be licensing considerations, but while you're using it only as CDS, then you won't need client licenses for the D365 apps, and can probably work with the D365 Team Member license, though you'll need to check the overall license implications 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (69,842)