cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VilPel
Helper I
Helper I

How is User table generated in Dataverse?

Hello Power Users,

I have a few questions regarding the Dataverse database. As far as I know, Dataverse is using a common data model to create default tables in my environment and one of them is the Users table as shown below. 

usertable.png

How is this table generated? Does the table only list only the active users in my organization depending on what licenses they have?

Also, some of these rows are listed in the table. What is the meaning of these # "Users"?

users2.png

Thank you in advance,

2 REPLIES 2
cchannon
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

The systemuser table contains every user that has ever held a license to this org, whether active or not. This way, if a license-holding user owns a record, then you take away their license, the user record still exists and still owns the record, even if the actual person cannot log in to the system any more.

The user table is pre-populated by D365 when you create an org with all the licensed users in the security group you choose when creating, so when you select a security group during creation it just adds them all instead of asking you to add them manually.

The user names with # signs are system user records of some kind, specific to the D365 solutions you can add to your Dataverse Db. I believe MSFT uses them as contextually-relevant service accounts, much like SYSTEM so that their solutions can take administrative actions such as updating records with a user name that makes sense to end users (i.e. my sales Opportunity probability was updated to 70% by #EnterpriseSales).

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If when you create your Dataverse Instance you do not assign a Security Group, then all licenced users plus some additional users such as Office 365 Global Admins (and some default system users) will sync down to the instance.  If when you create your Dataverse Instance you do assign a security group, then rather than all the users only those that belong to the Security Group will sync down to the instance along with the Global Admins and default users etc.

Also, if you don't assign a Security Group when you create the instance but assign a Security Group to your instance later, those users that are not in the Security Group will become deactivated in the instance.  

The '#' actually means that the user does not have a first name.  Some will be 'Application users" typically used for some type of integration (there are a number of ones installed by Microsoft, but you can create your own also), others can be normal users where someone did not set the first name in the users Office 365 /Azure AD user profile

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (47,102)