cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandon-Rose
Frequent Visitor

How to create Form Choices Based on another Table

Hi

Hope you might be able to help me with a question in Dataverse, see below some background that might help explain what I'm trying to achieve. Maybe I'm going about this entirely the wrong way so appreciate all advice.

Background:

• We currently use Microsoft Forms and Google Forms to collect 'maintenance requests' from multiple locations or 'sites' across the region.
  • This information goes to SharePoint Lists via Power Automate, and then ends up in PowerApps Portal where it is forwarded onto contracts, sent to Power BI Dashboard, etc.

Problems with this set-up:

• Every time a new site is added or is changed, we need to add the new site details into SharePoint List/PowerApps Portal and ALSO update the multiple different Microsoft, Google Forms with the new sites. If something doesn't match up exactly the whole system breaks and lookups don't work, etc.
  • We are also unable to upload photos unless they have a Google or Microsoft account.

Moving Forward:

We would like to use PowerApps Portal instead of Google Forms or Microsoft Forms so the sites can upload photos and there is one central location to submit a maintenance request. We would also like the drop down/site options for the form to come from the same site details table/data source used by the PowerApps Portal, with the ability to change these sites and options from PowerApps Portal.

Help needed:

• I have the new Maintenance Request Form in Dataverse as a table.
  • I have the new Site Details/Site List in Dataverse as a table.
  • But it seems like I can only manually create a 'choices' list to get the choices in the Maintenance Request Form. If I use 'choices' we have the same issue where we have to keep up with making changes in multiple places and lookups have to match, etc. I haven't found a way to update the choices from PowerApps, Power Automate, or connect them to the Site Detail Table directly. Is there a way to get a drop down list or choices from another table instead of the 'choices' list?

Note:

I'm also going to attempt to be able to filter the drop down options/choices available by web roles in the future. For example if someone is from USA I they will have a web role 'USA' in the Portal and if the Web Role is USA, they will only see the sites that are in the USA. I know this is more a PowerApps portal question, but if anything knows something I should do now during the initial set-up to make things easier in the future that'd be awesome.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

BR

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Brandon-Rose 

If I understand you correctly the Maintenance form has a choice for the Sites ?

So you already have the Sites as a Table.. If I understand this correctly so all you need is on the Maintenance form to create a new lookup field that points to the Sites Table and hence when you add a new site it will be automatically reflected on the Maintenance form.

\

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

View solution in original post

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Brandon-Rose ,

Reading through your information, wouldn't you just want to have a lookup column on your Maintenance table that would be a lookup to the Site table?  This way when the user is creating the maintenance request they can just select the appropriate site.  If you add new sites you can do this through standard table form of course and you would not need to manually update the Choice and keep this in sync.

Am I understanding correctly?  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@Brandon-Rose 

If I understand you correctly the Maintenance form has a choice for the Sites ?

So you already have the Sites as a Table.. If I understand this correctly so all you need is on the Maintenance form to create a new lookup field that points to the Sites Table and hence when you add a new site it will be automatically reflected on the Maintenance form.

\

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Brandon-Rose ,

Reading through your information, wouldn't you just want to have a lookup column on your Maintenance table that would be a lookup to the Site table?  This way when the user is creating the maintenance request they can just select the appropriate site.  If you add new sites you can do this through standard table form of course and you would not need to manually update the Choice and keep this in sync.

Am I understanding correctly?  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (1,723)