cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to implement an IF ELSE condition for hiding certain fields

Hello PowerApps Community,

I am trying to build a form where based off certain selection specific fields or visible or invisible.

For example

Form Type = A or B

If Form A is selected fields 2 4 6 are visible but not 1 3 5

else fields 1 3 5 are visible but not 2 4 6.

Do I do this using rules and setting 'equal to' conditions on the field? Then set the actions to hide the other fields? Or is there some better way to implement this? I appreciate any insight about this or any documentation I can read to understand functions better.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Depending on your locale you either need to use comma " , " or semicolon " ; " to separate arguments inside functions. You can't use both. In my case I use " ; " to separate parameters and " ;; " to separate lines.

Also you might need to put the "Complete" inside quotes like ""Complete"". For example:
If(Dropdown3.Selected.Value = "Complete", true, false) (Note, use only commas or semicolons depending on your locale)

They way If-statement works is that you give it a logical statement like if A = 10. If it's true, it returns a true value and that can be almost anything but in our case we return true. And if we the statement is false, it either returns nothing or it returns false (else) value if it's stated. In our case our false value will be false.

Now if we would inject this straight in to the Datacards we simply put the code I wrote above in to the Datacards Visible field (not in the Dropdown3 Visible or otherwise our dropdown menu will disappear). However if we do this through variables we can set the variable on Dropdown3 OnSelect or OnChange field. We add following code:

If(Dropdown3.Selected.Value="Complete", UpdateContext({ShowFields:true}), UpdateContext({ShowFields:false}))

Now in to the Datacard Visible field just add ShowFields or !ShowFields

If you're interested on what's happening I've put a lenghty description below.

Spoiler
First select a value from dropdown. OnChange or OnSelect triggers the If-statement and it proceeds to check the logical statement: is the selected value "Complete"? If statement was true, we create/update a context variable called ShowFields and we set the value true. Now on the Datacards Visible fields we have set the value to be ShowFields. But why? If Visible only accepts boolean (true/false) values? That's because it reads the variable and see it's holding a value of true. That's where it picks whether the Visible value is true or false. On the other hand !ShowFields would return false if the value is true. It basicly reverse the logic.
If we then change the the dropdown to anything else than Complete (in this case there's only "Not complete") we then proceed to else value (false). The else value is the one that is executed no other logical statements returns true. It's like default value. Rememer there can be multiple logical statements inside If-statement. Now that our ShowFields holds false all the datacards that has Visible value from variable ShowFields will be hidden while datacards with !ShowFields willl be shown.

I hope this cleared up the things.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
caburk
Power Apps
Power Apps

Do you have 2 different forms? Unless you're scenario is more complex than the below, all you'd need to do is put fields 2, 4, 6 on form A and 1, 3, 5 on form B.

Business rules are a great option. If you go this route, you're able to set the scope to All forms, a single form, or the entire entity (server-side). 

tuuman
Resolver I
Resolver I

Well there's couple of ways to do this.

First thing to know is that are you using one form with different visibilities of the fields?

Or do you have two separate forms?

If you have two separate forms you can put fields 1,3 and 5 to the first form and then put 2, 4 and 6 to the second. Then in the forms Visibility field you want to set a context variable or normal boolean type variable (I get on to this later).

If you got one form then you need to separately set to every field their own Visibility. Use context variables or normal boolean variable to do this. Basicly you want 1, 3 and 5 set like ShowField and on 2, 4 and 6 you need to reverse it to !ShowField.

Now we need a way to switch the visibility. The best way is to use button or Yes-No-switch or something that is easy to convert in to bool. Then you can either use normal variable or context variable.

Let's say we have a button called SwitchFields_Button. On OnSelect field we need to add this:

UpdateContext({ShowFields:!ShowFields})

//OR

If(Not(varShowFields);Set(varShowFields;true);Ser(varShowFields;false)
//We use If-statement to check if the variable is true of false and depending on that we change the value to true or false. E.g. If varShowFields is true -> set it to false. This way we are not stuck with button that can only set true value. Otherwise we need two separate buttons, one that set true and other one false

Now on to the forms or form items Visibility field we need to set this:

ShowFields
//If you're setting this to fields Visibility, you need to set !ShowFields to the 2,4 and 6

//OR

varShowFields
//And if you set this to fields Visibility, remember to set !varShowFields to 2,4 and 6

I hope this cleared up something. There may be better ways to do this but this is how I've done things in the past.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You @caburk and @tuuman for the replies.

It is one form and I am trying to write a function to add to the visible properties on the datacards to be true or false depending on if a specific string is selected in another datacard.

Would I set the

ShowFields
//If you're setting this to fields Visibility, you need to set !ShowFields to the 2,4 and 6

//OR

varShowFields
//And if you set this to fields Visibility, remember to set !varShowFields to 2,4 and 6

To the visibility field on the datacards I want to hide or not hide?

and for this

If(Not(varShowFields);Set(varShowFields;true);Ser(varShowFields;false)
//We use If-statement to check if the variable is true of false and depending on that we change the value to true or false. E.g. If varShowFields is true -> set it to false. This way we are not stuck with button that can only set true value. Otherwise we need two separate buttons, one that set true and other one false

What would be the varshowfields in this functon? Is that the test to determine if setvisible should be true or false? I was wondering if there is a function to write like this:

(If(DataCardA.value = '1')

[set visible = hidden

ele

set visible = not hidden]

and like with your example the only two options would be one or two or true or false.

I appreciate any further insight

Yes you put either ShowFields or varShowFields on DataCards Visibile field. So let's say we have following datacards:
1_DataCard
2_DataCard
3_DataCard
4_DataCard
5_DataCard
6_DataCard

We want to set these so, that either 1,3 and 5 are shown or 2,4 and 6. We need to their Visible fields following:
1_DataCard -> ShowFields (OR varShowFields)
2_DataCard -> !ShowFields (OR !varShowField)
3_DataCard -> ShowFields
4_DataCard -> !ShowFields
5_DataCard -> ShowFields
6_DataCard -> !ShowFields

The varShowFields purpose is to hold either true of false value that is neede for Visible field. It's basicly same as ShowFields in sense that both holds true or false but works different way and is a bit messier. However if you need to set the value on start you can't do that with UpdateContext but with Set-function you can do that. You can use either one you want, UpdateContext is cleaner and works better in some conditions while Set-function works better on other conditions.

And yes, you can use a dropdown to determine what datacards you want to show. It is best practice to use variables in this because otherwise you need to copy paste this in every datacards Visible field:

If(DataCardValue1.Selected.Item="1";true,false)
//DataCardValue1 will be the one that is found in Dropdown

NOTE: you need to reverse the logic on 2,4 and 6, jsut swap the true and false other way around

However this isn't good if you need to change the visibility afterwards, because you would need to change the code on every field separately. For this reason I would advise to add this on the Dropdown OnChange (or OnSelect field, not sure which one):

If(DataCardValue1.Selected.Item="1";Set(varShowFields;true);Set(varShowFields;false))

//OR WITH updateContext

If(DataCardValue1.Selected.Item="1";UpdateContext({ShowFields:true});UpdateContext({ShowFields:false})

Now you need to add varShowFields and !varShowFields to datacards Visible fields. You can could use UdpateContext here too but i'm not sure how well it works (though it should work just fine).

This is pretty much how I would do it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tuuman

I really appreciate you helping me learn this and I apologize in advance if I am asking too many questions but I tried what you suggested I can't get it to work off the bat. I have a DropDown control called Dropdown3 with two options "Complete" and "Not Complete".

I am trying to set the visible property of a datacard called "Project" based off if "Complete" or "Not Complete" is chosen. So I click on the "Project" datacard properties and then I clicked on the visible property and I wrote this function:

If(Dropdown3.Selected.Value = Complete, true,false)

I get no errors but the datacard "Project" doesn't actually become visible when "Complete" is selected and not visible when anything else selected doesn't equal "Complete".

I tried your syntax

If(Dropdown3.Selected.Value = Complete; true,false)

but I then get two errors with the equal sign saying invalid argument type and I get another at the semi colon saying unexpected operator. I attached a screen shot of this and also I attached another screen shot of the visible field I am trying to add the function to.

I tried other variations using this syntax also but I still get errors:

If(DataCardValue1.Selected.Item="1";Set(varShowFields;true);Set(varShowFields;false))

//OR WITH updateContext

If(DataCardValue1.Selected.Item="1";UpdateContext({ShowFields:true});UpdateContext({ShowFields:false})

Its like I got the test to work in the IF statement to check if the dropdown control has "Complete" selected  but I am still missing how to execute the result of actually setting the visible property to either true or false. I looked up the IF statement syntax and found this article but I am still missing how to executue the result.

If and Switch Syntax Documentation I read.

Again thank you for all your time and help.

Depending on your locale you either need to use comma " , " or semicolon " ; " to separate arguments inside functions. You can't use both. In my case I use " ; " to separate parameters and " ;; " to separate lines.

Also you might need to put the "Complete" inside quotes like ""Complete"". For example:
If(Dropdown3.Selected.Value = "Complete", true, false) (Note, use only commas or semicolons depending on your locale)

They way If-statement works is that you give it a logical statement like if A = 10. If it's true, it returns a true value and that can be almost anything but in our case we return true. And if we the statement is false, it either returns nothing or it returns false (else) value if it's stated. In our case our false value will be false.

Now if we would inject this straight in to the Datacards we simply put the code I wrote above in to the Datacards Visible field (not in the Dropdown3 Visible or otherwise our dropdown menu will disappear). However if we do this through variables we can set the variable on Dropdown3 OnSelect or OnChange field. We add following code:

If(Dropdown3.Selected.Value="Complete", UpdateContext({ShowFields:true}), UpdateContext({ShowFields:false}))

Now in to the Datacard Visible field just add ShowFields or !ShowFields

If you're interested on what's happening I've put a lenghty description below.

Spoiler
First select a value from dropdown. OnChange or OnSelect triggers the If-statement and it proceeds to check the logical statement: is the selected value "Complete"? If statement was true, we create/update a context variable called ShowFields and we set the value true. Now on the Datacards Visible fields we have set the value to be ShowFields. But why? If Visible only accepts boolean (true/false) values? That's because it reads the variable and see it's holding a value of true. That's where it picks whether the Visible value is true or false. On the other hand !ShowFields would return false if the value is true. It basicly reverse the logic.
If we then change the the dropdown to anything else than Complete (in this case there's only "Not complete") we then proceed to else value (false). The else value is the one that is executed no other logical statements returns true. It's like default value. Rememer there can be multiple logical statements inside If-statement. Now that our ShowFields holds false all the datacards that has Visible value from variable ShowFields will be hidden while datacards with !ShowFields willl be shown.

I hope this cleared up the things.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tuuman

You are a champion!

To clear things up for anyone else who comes by this first off you were correct, the previos line of code now works;

If(Dropdown3.Selected.Value = "Complete", true,false)

once I added double quotes around the string "Complete".

Also I understand what you mean now by setting it individually to each data card with that formula or using the context variable for it to check the datacards ShowFields vs !Showfields value set on the visible property. I am going to try the context variables techniqe now because that is more efficient. I also plan on revisiting this thread to make sure I re-read and understand the detailed description you provided. @tuuman than you again for all your time teaching me this stuff. I definitely plan on paying it forward as I continue to learn powerapps further! It is a great tool!

Best Regards,

HelloWorld!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tuuman

Just want to add that I tried your second technique of using ShowFields and !ShowFields and it worked perfectly! Thank you again @tuuman!

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd. at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3rd, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!       Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪🌠

Tuesday Tips: Community Ranks and YOU

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!This Week: Community Ranks--Moving from "Member" to "Community Champion"   Have you ever wondered how your fellow community members ascend the ranks within our community? What sets apart an Advocate from a Helper, or a Solution Sage from a Community Champion? In today’s #TuesdayTip, we’re unveiling the secrets and sharing tips to help YOU elevate your ranking—and why it matters to our vibrant communities. Community ranks serve as a window into a member’s role and activity. They celebrate your accomplishments and reveal whether someone has been actively contributing and assisting others. For instance, a Super User is someone who has been exceptionally helpful and engaged. Some ranks even come with special permissions, especially those related to community management. As you actively participate—whether by creating new topics, providing solutions, or earning kudos—your rank can climb. Each time you achieve a new rank, you’ll receive an email notification. Look out for the icon and rank name displayed next to your username—it’s a badge of honor! Fun fact: Your Community Engagement Team keeps an eye on these ranks, recognizing the most passionate and active community members. So shine brightly with valuable content, and you might just earn well-deserved recognition! Where can you see someone’s rank? When viewing a post, you’ll find a member’s rank to the left of their name.Click on a username to explore their profile, where their rank is prominently displayed. What about the ranks themselves? New members start as New Members, progressing to Regular Visitors, and then Frequent Visitors.Beyond that, we have a categorized system: Kudo Ranks: Earned through kudos (teal icons).Post Ranks: Based on your posts (purple icons).Solution Ranks: Reflecting your solutions (green icons).Combo Ranks: These orange icons combine kudos, solutions, and posts. The top ranks have unique names, making your journey even more exciting! So dive in, collect those kudos, share solutions, and let’s see how high you can rank! 🌟 🚀   Check out the Using the Community boards in each of the communities for more helpful information!  Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Users online (6,536)