cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hound55

How to prevent user from editing certain column value in Excel Online

I have a table with a column which values can't be edited by users. I can easily configure Dataverse to do so, either inside form by changing column type to read-only or by using Business rules. However I realized that it can by easily avoided by editing records in Excel Online that does not inherit Dataverse security model and while saving it does not respect neither form security nor business rules. 

The problem is that I need to show this column in the main view and I need to allow users to edit data in Excel Online. So is there any way to prevent saving changes in a certain column from Excel Online? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Hound55,

To really protect this you would need to leverage Field Level Security in Dataverse or the user will be able to get around this and be able to modify the field through an integration (dataflow), through Excel Online or Advanced Find creating their own view with the field and then exporting to Excel and Importing.  The only way to really secure this is to enable field level security profiles.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/field-level-security 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Hound55,

To really protect this you would need to leverage Field Level Security in Dataverse or the user will be able to get around this and be able to modify the field through an integration (dataflow), through Excel Online or Advanced Find creating their own view with the field and then exporting to Excel and Importing.  The only way to really secure this is to enable field level security profiles.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/field-level-security 

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (1,911)