Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Pezzoli
Advocate V
Advocate V

How to rename PDF file automatically during export

Hi all,

Export to PDF in Model-driven App is very limited: each time users must rename the file with the ID code of the current form offered.

Users don't want to export the PDF file with the template name and manually rename it (for example rename with Quote ID code)!

How to capture a column value during SAVE AS to PDF in order to automatically rename the file? Is there a workaround? Some advice?

ExportToPDF.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @David_Pezzoli,

Unfortunately as you say this export to PDF is limited, and from what I know if you automatically preset the name. You can only manually rename in the Save As textbox.
You can however for Email action have a Dataverse plugin that triggers on create of Attachment (activitymimeattachment) record and renames the attachment file name to the desired name. You can have logic to trigger only if the Email is regarding a quote or if the PDF name is the template name. This a more complicated scenario which requires a developer to write C# code and would only work for emailing a PDF.

I would recommend to submit that idea though at: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas 

Hope this helps!

Done!

David_Pezzoli
Advocate V
Advocate V

@EricRegnier thanks for your advice.

I know Plugin C #: Could you kindly send me a link to the example or similar scenario you propose, please?
Question: can Power Automante flow also be used? Or do you recommend Plugin just to capture the file during the native file attach process?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

<
Users online (3,872)