Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heliooso
Helper I
Helper I

Import choice column

Hello, 

I've exported data from dataverse into csv file and when I imported it to another enivronment to dataverse the data type for a choice column changed to text. How can I maintain the data types for columns ? 

4 REPLIES 4
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Heliooso 

This means the field is a Text column in that environment vs a choice column.  Did you export the solution from the one environment and bring into the other?  If you did not, you may want to export the data import template for the table from the target environment:

dpoggemann_0-1631536329891.png

and then you can map the data from your source environment to this (probably via Excel is easiest).  

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew
rampprakash
Super User
Super User

Hello @Heliooso,

Points to be followed

1. Navigate to https://make.powerapps.com

2. Go to solutions

3. Create a Solution

4. Add the Table by clicking on Add Existing 

5. After adding Table Open the Table and Select Add Existing Component and Add Field which required and Click ok

6. Once Done Publish all Customization in solution

7. Click Export and select Unmanaged or managed then Export

8. Import the solution where you planned to import (Navigating to Solutions then click on import and import the solution which we have exported from the environment 1)

then you can import the CSV file in the new Environment to make it work

Please mark as Answer if it is helpful and provide Kudos

Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnGNN3hdlKBOr6PXotskNLA
Blog : https://microsoftcrmtechie.blogspot.com

Hi @dpoggemann & @rampprakash  thank you for your assistance. 

I should have been more clearer that I am importing the data to a new account, not just between environments under the same account.

I exported the data and the app from another user and environment, when exporting the data from dataverse, it gave me the option to export to an excel file, so I did that. I then imported the app and data to the new user account and environment. Unfortunately the choice columns in dataverse are now showing up as column type text. 

I am not sure whether the way I exported the data or importing it causes the column type to change.

Here is a column that should be a choice column, I am importing the data in this case.

Heliooso_0-1631695165204.png

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Heliooso ,

Sorry no familiarity with that approach.  I usually create a solution and export the solution and import into the target environment.  In this case a completely different account.  This will transfer the data structure / schema like for like.  

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (2,219)