Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helpful
Resolver III
Resolver III

Import with Configuration Migration Tool triggers real-time workflows

Hello,

We have some processes setup that watch when a record is created and creates a child record.  I have been using Configuration Migration Tool to import data including Parent and Children records and it never triggered this process.

In the last few days the solution will now trigger the creation of a child record even during import using Config Migration Tool.

Has this behavior changed in CDS?

4 REPLIES 4
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Helpful ,

Could you please share a bit more about the process that you mentioned? Is it a workflow?

How do you set up the process?

Please check if the proper records has been added into your CDS Entities (Parent Entity and Child Entity) using the Configuration Migration Tool.

Also please make sure you have activated the corresponding workflow for the related Entity. If the issue still exists, please consider deactivated this workflow and re-activate it again, check if the issue is solved.

As an alternative solution, you could consider set up a Power Automate flow to achieve your needs instead of the workflow, then check if the issue is solved.

Please check and see if the following videos would help in your scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXqPfmYUIw

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-xida-msft, thanks for taking a look.

It's a very basic real-time workflow with the following config:

process.png

The workflow is deployed (as Active) with a managed solution to a clean environment.  I have not previously had to Deactivate workflows prior to importing with the Config Migration Tool - this would be a big hassle.

I checked the following:

• The demo data package DOES NOT contain the errant records that are showing up - just checked to make sure I wasn't crazy.
  • The demo data package contains three Project records (parents) with three Project Activities (children) for each.  At the end of the import, there is now a fourth Project Activity created for each Project titled "Default Activity" as a result of the workflow execution.

I haven't changed my method of import using the tool or the data pacakge.  Prior to a week ago or so, there would be no fourth Project Activity created and it would just be the records I imported using the tool.  It feels like something has changed on the import (API?) to CDS.

Small update - it's been suggested that the behavior I'm seeing now (workflows with "on record created" triggered by import) is the correct behavior and what I was seeing for weeks prior was unusual.

I'm not sure what to make of this because I don't have prior experience with the config migration tool.  Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

You are right. Real-time workflows are like plugins (extensions to the CDS platfrom) which always run based on the events (in your case, create the event) no matter how you create/update record such as API call, from UI or data import. 

If you don't want to execute the workflow during data import, then deactivate the workflow and activate it again.

Please mark it as answer if my post helps.

Thanks
Satish Reddy
https://pascalcase.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (1,710)