cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a_debiec
Regular Visitor

Importing hierachicly related data into dataverse

Hello Guys,

I am trying to import data into a table in dataverse and I want it to be hierarchicly related. I already created a table with hierarchical relationship and I can add data to it and display it visually in hierarchy but in the end my dataset has over 10 thousand records and I must import it and relate it quicker than one by one.

Can someone please help me with importing related data into dataverse.

Best Regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @a_debiec ,

There are a number of approaches to do this from data flows, API, etc. but I find the easiest is Excel Import using the Data Mapping Templates.

You would want to import all of the records first as "new" records using the Data Import Template for that table and then export all the records and set the Lookup field for the Parent to the Primary Name field of the Parent record.  

dpoggemann_0-1632746632682.png

Note, you can not have duplicates in this Primary Name field or it will fail on those records as it will not know which to match.  

Data flows is another option here as well but this has been the simplest for me in the past.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @a_debiec ,

There are a number of approaches to do this from data flows, API, etc. but I find the easiest is Excel Import using the Data Mapping Templates.

You would want to import all of the records first as "new" records using the Data Import Template for that table and then export all the records and set the Lookup field for the Parent to the Primary Name field of the Parent record.  

dpoggemann_0-1632746632682.png

Note, you can not have duplicates in this Primary Name field or it will fail on those records as it will not know which to match.  

Data flows is another option here as well but this has been the simplest for me in the past.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

View solution in original post

rampprakash
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @a_debiec,

Step 1: Import the Lookup/Relationship data to the table

Step 2: Make Sure Step 1 Doesnot have duplicate Records

Step 3 : Import the Final List of data which contains Step 1(loopup/Relationship) data

Please let me know if you need more clarity

Please mark as Answer if it is helpful and provide Kudos

Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnGNN3hdlKBOr6PXotskNLA

Blog : https://microsoftcrmtechie.blogspot.com

Hello @dpoggemann ,

Thank you for your response. Nevertheless I can't seem to get it right. Is it possible that you will record a video of the whole process with some sample data?

Also when I try to import from excel I get an error that multiple sheets files are not supported, even though I only have one sheet.

Best Regards!

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @a_debiec , send me a private message and we could do a screen share to walk through if that works…. 

Hi,

I managed to make it work. One thing that I missed was that I didn't set any key for the table that I wanted to import data into. Only after adding key to main column, I was able to map data to lookup column. Nevertheless your suggestion to use data mapping template was very helpful.

Best Regards!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,365)