Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrQ
Helper V
Helper V

Is dataverse "free"?

Hey guys

1st question:

I don't quite understand it. I know dataverse for teams is "free" - and by free I mean in most of the basic licensing plans included. However, I always thought (and I'm sure I also read it somewhere) that dataverse is NOT free.

But if that is true, how comes that I can create tables, can write, read, delete and do all kinds of stuff with it? I don't have a premium/per app/per user license at all. Not even a trial.

Also, when i go and check "Connectors" from within Power Apps Studio, I see no diamond icon next to it...

diamond-icon-missing.png

So I've been building my little app for quite a while already (several weeks in the making...) and I've not been prompted to pay for anything yet. 

I am also managing another tenant and also there I have the same behavior.

Is it a bug? Do I misunderstand anything? Is it free? Are only some features free? 

If anyone could answer this, I'd be super happy and around 80% less confused about the whole MS-Dataverse licensing topic.

2nd question

While I'm kinda certain that the answer to the first question will be "you need to pay", I might need to switch to dataverse for Teams. However, I realized that I can't make use of the pre-created "Contacts", "Accounts", or "Users" tables. Is there a way to do that? Or do I simply need to recreate them?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @mrQ 

You're correct in that Dataverse is not free, and that "you need to pay".

One reason why this is confusing is because you don't necessarily need a licence to be able to build an app that uses a premium connector.

For example, if you were to add a connection to SQL Server (a premium connector that has a diamond next to it), you'll find that you can connect to it, even though you don't have a per user/per app license. At runtime for a published app, Power Apps will enforce the licensing rules.

In answer to your second question, can you confirm what you mean by - you can't make use of the pre-created "Contacts", "Accounts", or "Users" tables? Are you saying that they don't appear when you do a search for those, or are you saying that Power Apps reports insufficient permissions when you try to access those tables?

The last part you mention can be really confusing, because the labelling in the admin centre doesn't correlate to meaning that we expect. The link beneath provides a much better explanation.

https://forwardforever.com/microsoft-365-does-not-contain-power-platform-licenses/

Hope that's of some help.

View solution in original post

prasaddjoshi
Frequent Visitor

As per Microsoft Docs here

As Dataverse continues to grow, more Microsoft applications like Microsoft Project are using Dataverse. To enable these Microsoft applications, limited Dataverse functionality is added to select Microsoft 365 licenses

This can be the reason the "Common Data Service" License is visible in Admin Portal

For App Development, if we have access to any data source we can build the App in PowerApp Studio but if the user tries to Run the Published App by hitting the URL, it will ask for license for Premium features.

This can be confirmed from App details as shown below,

App_Type.png.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Dataverse is not really free.  You have to have a licence to be able to use it, that licence (except for the Dev/Community version) you pay for - either directly or indirectly (bundled with another Microsoft licence that you are paying for).  You can establish a Trial environment (that is 30 days) and it is most likely this that you have (or you are getting permissions from another Microsoft licence assigned to your user) - look in 

https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com to see what type of environment you have, and https://admin.microsoft.com/ to check what licences you have purchased/trial and assigned to your user

If your licence doesn't give you access to something then you either need to up the licence or build from scratch.

Hi @Fubar 

Thanks for your response.

That's the thing. I'm in the default environment - not dev, not trial.

And regarding the licenses I have the "E1" on one tenant and on the other the the "M365 Business Basic" license. Afaik CDS is not included in any of those plans. 

However, when I check my account I can see the "Common Data Service" listed. Not sure if this is the one that enables me to use it. But if so, why do I have it if it's not included in Business Basic/E1?

apps.png

timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @mrQ 

You're correct in that Dataverse is not free, and that "you need to pay".

One reason why this is confusing is because you don't necessarily need a licence to be able to build an app that uses a premium connector.

For example, if you were to add a connection to SQL Server (a premium connector that has a diamond next to it), you'll find that you can connect to it, even though you don't have a per user/per app license. At runtime for a published app, Power Apps will enforce the licensing rules.

In answer to your second question, can you confirm what you mean by - you can't make use of the pre-created "Contacts", "Accounts", or "Users" tables? Are you saying that they don't appear when you do a search for those, or are you saying that Power Apps reports insufficient permissions when you try to access those tables?

The last part you mention can be really confusing, because the labelling in the admin centre doesn't correlate to meaning that we expect. The link beneath provides a much better explanation.

https://forwardforever.com/microsoft-365-does-not-contain-power-platform-licenses/

Hope that's of some help.

prasaddjoshi
Frequent Visitor

As per Microsoft Docs here

As Dataverse continues to grow, more Microsoft applications like Microsoft Project are using Dataverse. To enable these Microsoft applications, limited Dataverse functionality is added to select Microsoft 365 licenses

This can be the reason the "Common Data Service" License is visible in Admin Portal

For App Development, if we have access to any data source we can build the App in PowerApp Studio but if the user tries to Run the Published App by hitting the URL, it will ask for license for Premium features.

This can be confirmed from App details as shown below,

App_Type.png.jpg

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @mrQ ,

This is tricky, I know.  Dataverse for Teams is different than building a standard dataverse based model application or other Power App that would connect to a dataverse environment that you create.  Dataverse for Teams is unique in the standpoint that this is included with the Microsoft 365 / Office 365 licensing vs purchasing a separate "Power Apps Per App" or "Power Apps Per User" plan.  

See the following link which goes over the Licensing and Restrictions for Dataverse for Teams.  I also detailed out licensing needed from the Microsoft 365 side in this other reply recently here.

Hope this helps clear up your question.  It is a great new added capability Microsoft has provided.  Some limitations of course but you can store the data in a true relational database vs. SharePoint lists or other locations...

If this helps, please mark accepted.

Thanks,

Drew

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

E1 contains licencing for PowerApps. Not sure about Business Basic directly, but it is giving you access to Teams which probably means you are getting Dataverse for Teams

mrQ
Helper V
Helper V

thanks all for your responses.

That clears some doubts - especially the part: 

@timl 

Regarding my second question: yes, they don't show up. I assume that is because they're in a different environment. Just wanted to confirm whether there is really no way to access them?

Kind regards,

mrQ
Helper V
Helper V

any updates on my 2nd question? That'd be appreciated

timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @mrQ 

Apologies for not getting back to you about the second question.

To connect to the accounts, users, contact tables from a different environment, you can select the target environment through the tables/entities > change environment context menu:

timl_0-1614868869037.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,484)