Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrQ
Helper V
Helper V

Is dataverse "free"?

Hey guys

1st question:

I don't quite understand it. I know dataverse for teams is "free" - and by free I mean in most of the basic licensing plans included. However, I always thought (and I'm sure I also read it somewhere) that dataverse is NOT free.

But if that is true, how comes that I can create tables, can write, read, delete and do all kinds of stuff with it? I don't have a premium/per app/per user license at all. Not even a trial.

Also, when i go and check "Connectors" from within Power Apps Studio, I see no diamond icon next to it...

diamond-icon-missing.png

So I've been building my little app for quite a while already (several weeks in the making...) and I've not been prompted to pay for anything yet. 

I am also managing another tenant and also there I have the same behavior.

Is it a bug? Do I misunderstand anything? Is it free? Are only some features free? 

If anyone could answer this, I'd be super happy and around 80% less confused about the whole MS-Dataverse licensing topic.

2nd question

While I'm kinda certain that the answer to the first question will be "you need to pay", I might need to switch to dataverse for Teams. However, I realized that I can't make use of the pre-created "Contacts", "Accounts", or "Users" tables. Is there a way to do that? Or do I simply need to recreate them?

10 REPLIES 10
davetheteamsguy
Helper I
Helper I

To further muddy the waters about Dataverse licensing, I have a question.  

According to the documentation for Dataverse capabilities with Microsoft 365 licenses:

This new service plan allows select Microsoft 365 applications to take advantage of Dataverse as a platform for storing application data and use the underlying business logic tier as part of extending application capabilities. This extension also helps these applications to use Dataverse instances within the default environment. However, if you need to create a Dataverse instance within production or sandbox environments (other than the default environment), you're still required to have a premium Power Apps or Power Automate license.

A) Does this mean you just need a premium license to create a Dataverse instance in a non-default environment, or 

B) Does this mean you need a premium license above and beyond your Microsoft or Office 365 E3 / E5 SKU to take advantage of the Dataverse capabilities offered with those select Microsoft 365 applications if the Dataverse is in a non-default environment?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (3,935)