cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mattw112IG
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Limits to Power Apps Dataflows?

Are there any limits to Power Apps Dataflows?  Like number of Columns?  Or size of results?

I'm trying to create a pretty complex query to get data from several SQL tables into Dataverse, and as I add tables and expand results, I keep getting to a place where is just timeouts every time.  Doesn't say why.  And if I try to go directly tot he creating tables, it eventually gives me an "exception" error on some of the tables.

I've tried removing as many columns from each table as possible.

Thanks,

Terry

7 REPLIES 7
EricRegnier
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Mattw112IG,

There's no official limitations documented, but from my experience Dataflows are great for simple data models and small datasets. It takes a really long time to run for larger ones. I know Microsoft is actively working on performance of Dataflows so hopefully we will see major improvements soon. What's the error message you're getting? You can see it by click the little warning icon next to Last Refresh:
2020-06-13_8-19-14.png

For a more detailed error message, suggest to reach out to Microsoft by submitting a ticket at: https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/support

Cheers

Mattw112IG
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Not even getting to that point.  In the dataflow editor, again through Power Apps site, I do all my filters, then all transformations and then merges and then expands... between about 5 tables...  but... the expands mostly work until i get tot he last one and then it just does nothing and eventually has a timeout error after 10 min.  Maybe I just need a way to increase the timeout?  I have looked and ofund some suggestions in Power BI desktop... but since these are for Power Apps not sure how I can increase the timeouts?

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Terry, there's no way to set the timeouts unfortunately up to now. Suggest to submit that idea (if it doesn't already exists) at: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

And also like suggested, would submit a Microsoft ticket to see if they can give you more details and/or increase the timeout from their end.

Good luck....

Mattw112IG
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Is there a way to open the Power apps dataflows in Power BI desktop?

Unfortunately, not that I know of. Dataverse/Power Apps Datafows are separate from Power BI Dataflows. More info: https://docs.microsoft.com/power-query/dataflows/understanding-differences-between-analytical-standa... 

Mattw112IG
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

So if I read this right, if I try using analytic dataflows that may make performance and datasize better?  But seems liek it stores in Azure data lake not dataverse?  Would that cost additional for storage?  Would Is till be able to connect as easy to it as I would dataverse?

Thanks,

Terry

Standard aka Dataverse Dataflows are primarily used to transform and import data into Dataverse tables to then used that data within your systems/apps. The data are stored in Dataverse.

Analytics Dataflows are primarily used for reporting and analytical purposes in Power BI. The dataflow definition and data are stored in (ADL) Azure Data Lake.

You cannot used analytics Dataflows within your app like you do with Standard Dataflows, so no you wouldn't be able to. Pricing for ADL: https://azure.microsoft.com/pricing/details/storage/data-lake/

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (74,195)