Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teresa24486
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Locking fields with business rules not working

hi,

i have set my conditions on the business rules to lock fields after data is input; it doesnt work on the form after form save, can you suggest an alternative?

@EricRegnier 

Teresa24486_0-1604238199781.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Then it most likely has to do with the logic. Another business rule can also run into conflict with that one which unlocks the fields. Can you ensure no other business rules are activate on the entity (and/or form) and test if that works? Also, can you share a screenshot of the whole business rule including the bottom right thumbnail?

View solution in original post

Strange that the lock/unlock doesnt work for business rules, had to go thru a bpf ,it locks the fields but does not grey out or show a locked icon so ppl dont try to edit the field knowingly. Also, we still will be able to edit the form after save until the workflow runs. Hope you got the scenario.

8 REPLIES 8
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @Teresa24486 

Do you have all of the fields that you refer to in your business rule definition on the form? If there are fields in the business rule that are not on the form then the business rule will not work.

Yes, all fields are on the form. Lock works on just one field on the same form.

Hi @Teresa24486,

Also what scope did you set the business rule? It might be set on a form that you are not using. Select "All Forms" if that's not selected. Make sure you save all and activate the business rule. Once saved and activated, go back to your form and hit CTRL+F5.

Small tip: it might help to debug and understand the logic if you name all the conditions and actions in your business rule 🙂

Hope this helps...

Hi Eric,

the form is set to Entity scope; do i still have to set to All forms scope? Is it something to do with the Editable grid that i have on my form?

Teresa24486_0-1604295914242.png

Entity scope will work as well on the all forms. Business rule are also supposed to work with editable grids.

Just to confirm you have activated the rule right?

Yes, activated, published and everything many times on the form; still doesnt lock; only one field gets locked and the rest is unlocked.

Then it most likely has to do with the logic. Another business rule can also run into conflict with that one which unlocks the fields. Can you ensure no other business rules are activate on the entity (and/or form) and test if that works? Also, can you share a screenshot of the whole business rule including the bottom right thumbnail?

Strange that the lock/unlock doesnt work for business rules, had to go thru a bpf ,it locks the fields but does not grey out or show a locked icon so ppl dont try to edit the field knowingly. Also, we still will be able to edit the form after save until the workflow runs. Hope you got the scenario.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Microsoft Ignite 768x460.png

Find your focus

Explore the latest tools,training sessions,technical expertise, networking and more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,077)