cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deltaformtech
Frequent Visitor

Logistics App - Concept Help

Hi all,

This is more of a conceptual question than a technical one, so I'm hoping you can offer some insight.  The background is that we are looking to build a logistics app to manage dispatching of trucks with roll-off bins.  Here are the key factors:

Every dispatch requires a date and address

Every address requires a customer

An open order consists of many dispatches to the same address for the same customer

We are using Dataverse and custom tables, with a canvas app front end (ideally, for design flexibility)

We are having trouble conceptualizing the relationships between the tables.  We originally thought a table for Dispatches, a table for Customers, a table for Addresses (since customers can have many addresses), and a table for Orders.

I realize this is extremely vague, but would appreciate any feedback or insight based on this information - and I will be happy to provide additional clarification/information as well!

Thanks in advance,

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @deltaformtech ,

The following is an example of a data model based on your input with some thoughts on why I identified in this manner.  Hopefully this is helpful, please mark Accepted if it does. 🙂

example_logistics_model.PNG

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HSheild
Super User
Super User

Hi @deltaformtech 

At a high level, it sounds like you are on the right track. If you are having trouble conceptualising this then I would try a few things to help make it clearer.

1.  Mock up diagrams or story boards and then use some real scenarios and real data to test those out.

2. You could also model the data in Excel and test out a few scenarios 

3. Finally, just start building a prototype - it’s quick and easy to put together an app in a sandbox environment . Spend a few hours on it and see if your data model becomes clearer. If it doesn’t work out, or you need to start again just reset the environment. That is one of the advantages of a low-code platform 

dpoggemann
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @deltaformtech ,

The following is an example of a data model based on your input with some thoughts on why I identified in this manner.  Hopefully this is helpful, please mark Accepted if it does. 🙂

example_logistics_model.PNG

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

Thank you!  This helped me to conceptualize the relationships and I've made considerable progress on a mock up thanks to your input!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (36,826)