cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
365-Assist
Power Participant
Power Participant

Lookup field for Office 365 Users

I have a Model Driven App using the Dataverse. I am trying to created a Form that has a Lookup Field that has its source options to the Office 365 Users.

I know there is an Office 365 Connector and a Connection Reference but not sure how it can be used in my Model Driven Table and form.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @365-Assist,

An out-of-the-box (OOB) way is to leverage the OOB User table. The high-level idea is to assign a temp license to the user, wait until it syncs into Dataverse and then unassigned the license. Point that lockup field to the User table. Those users will be automatically be created in Dataverse and then be set as inactive once the license is unassigned. You can automatically assign the license when new users get created in O365 and unassigned once they got created in Dataverse with the help Power Automate flows and group base licensing. You old users you can import them with Excel/CSV and the import tool: https://readyxrm.blog/2018/05/21/importing-legacy-users-to-dynamics-365-online/ 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @365-Assist,

Have a look at Embedded Canvas App on a Model-Driven Form. You can store the O365 user email in a Dataverse column. Note that the record has to be saved before it can render the embedded canvas app.

Your other alternatives are a Virtual Table, but note that this will involve custom development and writing plugins to retrieve data from the Microsoft Graph API. 

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

thanks @ChrisPiasecki . I understand embedding Canvas App. However I wanted to do all this in Model Driven. Perhaps I will switch to Canvas App where I know it can be done.

Virtual Table sounds too much development for my liking.

EricRegnier
Super User
Super User

Hi @365-Assist,

An out-of-the-box (OOB) way is to leverage the OOB User table. The high-level idea is to assign a temp license to the user, wait until it syncs into Dataverse and then unassigned the license. Point that lockup field to the User table. Those users will be automatically be created in Dataverse and then be set as inactive once the license is unassigned. You can automatically assign the license when new users get created in O365 and unassigned once they got created in Dataverse with the help Power Automate flows and group base licensing. You old users you can import them with Excel/CSV and the import tool: https://readyxrm.blog/2018/05/21/importing-legacy-users-to-dynamics-365-online/ 

Hope this helps!

abrosales
Regular Visitor

I am also looking for a method to access the Office 365 Users to copy the values into the MDA. I understand that this connector integrates with Canvas very well, but nothing on the MDA side. I do not do much of development so am looking for non-development methods. We use virtual entities here and will look into the Microsoft Graph API.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (3,173)