cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karen_H
Frequent Visitor

MS Dataverse Custom Table/Entity

As a Power Platform admin, where or how can I find the details on which user created a custom table?

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @Karen_H,

Unfortunately you can't directly find out who created a table. That said, system views are created along with every table and you can determine from the SavedQueries table. You can use the Dataverse Web API to find this information. Make sure to specify the name (not Display Name) of your table.  

https://<environmentUrl>/api/data/v9.0/savedqueries?$filter=returnedtypecode eq 'account'&$select=returnedtypecode,createdon&$expand=createdby($select=fullname)&$top=1

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

I am not clear  on  the recommendation.  Is there a way to do this using a Power shell cmdlet?

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Basically what @ChrisPiasecki is saying is there is not a way to pickup on the Entity/Table itself - however when a new Entity/Table is created there are half a dozen out of the box Views that are always created at the same time as the Entity - these Views do capture the user creating them (i.e. user that created the entity = user that created the out of the box views).

So basically you can query the CreatedBy user (and CreatedOn date) on one of the out of the box Views.

Chris provided the basic oData query that you can just paste into your browser after substituting in your environments name (you can also get it via Advanced Find).

You can use PowerShell

The second link has a FetchXml query on it, you would construct a fetchXML query on the SavedQueries table (e.g. use Advanced Find to construct the query and download its FetchXML).  Believe there may also be a way to do oData rather than FetchXml (but its not something I do so can't provide a lot more detail).

EricRegnier
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Karen_H,

The easiest way is the trick that @ChrisPiasecki shared. It is possible with the modern DevOps tools by leveraging Solution Packager to deconstruct a solution into XML files and commit to source control (e.g. Git). There are Azure DevOps and GitHub build tools to facilitate this: https://docs.microsoft.com/power-platform/alm/devops-build-tools 

The idea is once you have the solution details and they're committed into Git, you can leverage all the Git capabilities to analyze the files and can easily determine who created/updates entities/tables. Suggest to have a look at that, it is very helpful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (61,172)