cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bogdans
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft PowerApps Excel Add-In Issues

Hello,

I created a production environment in the Dataverse for my organization and I'm looking to install the Excel add-in for PowerApps to be able to edit Dataverse tables' data in Excel. However, I am unable to create a data connection when I open a blank excel file and select the add-in

bogdans_1-1635279168680.png

If I go to the Dataverse table directly and select "Edit data in Excel", the following message will appear and I cannot do anything:

bogdans_2-1635279308260.png

Any advice to fix this or even where to begin investigating this issue would be helpful. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @bogdans ,

Your environment is configured from a security perspective to not allow you to add the Excel add-in.  Please see the following article:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/manage/manage-addins-in-the-admin-center?view=o... 

Please work with your IT admin to change this or organizationally allow this add-in.

Also I normally never use any Excel add-in to manipulate data in Excel.  I do one of the following...

Option 1

What I usually do is the following to manipulate data in Excel vs. using the Add-in:

1. Go to admin.powerplatform.com
  2. Click on your production environment
  3. Click on Settings in top menu
  4. Go to Templates --> Data import templates

From here you can view any table template you need and fill the data to import into your environment.  The import process is under the "Data Management" in the same location you find the Templates

This will allow you to import data easily for production.

Option 2

1. Create views on your tables that include all the fields you want to manipulate. 
  2. Create a model-based Power App that includes your tables to manipulate
  3. You can then go into the View and "Export to Excel" or "Export to Excel Online" and manipulate the data

This approach does not require any add-in and works great to manipulate data in Excel.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @bogdans ,

Your environment is configured from a security perspective to not allow you to add the Excel add-in.  Please see the following article:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/manage/manage-addins-in-the-admin-center?view=o... 

Please work with your IT admin to change this or organizationally allow this add-in.

Also I normally never use any Excel add-in to manipulate data in Excel.  I do one of the following...

Option 1

What I usually do is the following to manipulate data in Excel vs. using the Add-in:

1. Go to admin.powerplatform.com
  2. Click on your production environment
  3. Click on Settings in top menu
  4. Go to Templates --> Data import templates

From here you can view any table template you need and fill the data to import into your environment.  The import process is under the "Data Management" in the same location you find the Templates

This will allow you to import data easily for production.

Option 2

1. Create views on your tables that include all the fields you want to manipulate. 
  2. Create a model-based Power App that includes your tables to manipulate
  3. You can then go into the View and "Export to Excel" or "Export to Excel Online" and manipulate the data

This approach does not require any add-in and works great to manipulate data in Excel.

Hope this helps.  Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (2,982)