cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarshallPlexi
Regular Visitor

Migrating SharePoint List Data With Choice Columns to Dataverse - Use Dataflows OR Create DV Table Then Import Data?

I have a Power Apps canvas app that currently has a SP List as its data source. Now that we have the licensing, I need to migrate this data to DV.  After some experimentation with Dataflows, it seemed like the best solution and it was for SP lists that had no choice columns.  But I have had no success migrating choice column data (including choice columns with multi-item select enabled) using Dataflows. 

So next, I created the new Dataverse table first with the appropriate column types including choice columns which I included all choice options/selections.  Then I used Import Data to select the SP list and set it to import into an existing table, the one I just created. Even though the import tasks was successful (i.e., no errors), unfortunately there was no data in my table. I have created a custom view and the data is still missing. 

I have watched various YouTube videos about this subject and I can't locate a solution.   There must be steps in Power Query that provide a solution.  Open to recommendations. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarshallPlexi ,

I'm afraid there is no way but manually move the choices column values to Dataverse Choices field (called option-sets in old days) with Dataflow.

But we could use Power Automate to migrate data, and below is the video which introduces the whole approach especially about the choice column (at 13:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvWLmpkS2Zw

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarshallPlexi ,

I'm afraid there is no way but manually move the choices column values to Dataverse Choices field (called option-sets in old days) with Dataflow.

But we could use Power Automate to migrate data, and below is the video which introduces the whole approach especially about the choice column (at 13:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvWLmpkS2Zw

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

@v-jefferni - Thank you for your response.  I checked out the Shane Young video you recommended and it will do everything I need to migrate choice columns except multi-item select choice columns.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Users online (4,406)