cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Traverser
Regular Visitor

Missing users in Dataverse

Hi,

I am new to the Dataverse, there was a dataverse environment created which has a systemuser table autogenerated, it has got several users but some users are missing
I am trying to understand what could be the cause of it, I tried to research but not able to get it correct

I have few queries

1)From where does the data in the systemusers table gets added.
2)Is the dataverse synced with Azure AD and is the systemuser table automatically synced with Azure AD
3)Why are there certain users that doesnot come in systemuser table
4)I found that we could add users by navigating to environment settings but there it shows that the user must be
Enabled in Azure active directory,
Has an active license,
Member of the environment security group.

which active license should the user have and if the user doesnt have rights will it throw error while adding the user.

5)what if a new user is added to the organization will it be autosynced to the systemusers table

Kindly help, Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Prakash4691
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Traverser ,

1. If user gets added in Azure AD it will get automatically synced to Office 365 and vice versa.

2. Only difference is you will not get option for licensing in azure AD. Need to assign manually in Office 365.

3. Check if power platform environment is associated to any security group. If so, then users need to be added as members to those security group.

4. Necessary license needs to be associated to the users.

5. If 1, 2, 3 and 4 gets passed. Navigate to power platform environment ->settings->users. Click add users it will display all the office 365 users. Add appropriate users to the environments.

image.png

6. Navigate to users table in dataverse. Now those users will be visible as part of the instance/environment.

Mark it as solution . If it answers your question.

Regards,

Prakash

View solution in original post

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Traverser,

The user would need a license of some type.  Would not need to be a Dynamics 365 license, you could have Power Apps Per User or Power Apps Per App license as well and follow steps to get that user to show up in the environment as I identified in the link above.

One thing, if you are working with flows and users in your organization that do not really have a need to be in the environment because they do not use the application or the dataverse a lot of times I will setup these users as Contacts within an Account that would be the your organization.  This way you can relate them in tables and not need to have them be actual Users in the environment consuming licenses.  Of course you would need to define flows that would loop through the active Users in Azure Active Directory and keep this updated (or do manually).  Just mentioning because another approach I have used.

Thanks,

Drew

7 REPLIES 7
dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

HI @Traverser,

I will try to answer some of your questions...

1. Users are populated from Azure Active Directory with a one way sync of users to the environments.  You need to provide the appropriate licensing to the users to add them to the environment.  Licensing situations are more complicated with Dataverse for Teams and with Power Apps Per App plans
  2. Another thing to check in your instance is if it is tied to a security group.  You have the ability to setup the access to a dataverse environment to a specific security group defined in Azure AD, see the following article to check if this is assigned to the environment:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/control-user-access (this article also assigns general user assignment of licensing as well).

Based on the items you have identified above it looks to be related to the Power Apps Per App licensing as this can be a challenge at times :).  As users are added to the organization they will flow down to the environment based on the licensing.

Hopefully this helps.  

Thanks,

Drew

Prakash4691
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Traverser ,

1. If user gets added in Azure AD it will get automatically synced to Office 365 and vice versa.

2. Only difference is you will not get option for licensing in azure AD. Need to assign manually in Office 365.

3. Check if power platform environment is associated to any security group. If so, then users need to be added as members to those security group.

4. Necessary license needs to be associated to the users.

5. If 1, 2, 3 and 4 gets passed. Navigate to power platform environment ->settings->users. Click add users it will display all the office 365 users. Add appropriate users to the environments.

image.png

6. Navigate to users table in dataverse. Now those users will be visible as part of the instance/environment.

Mark it as solution . If it answers your question.

Regards,

Prakash

Traverser
Regular Visitor

@dpoggemann , @Prakash4691 .. Thankyou for your help, actually we have a per user plan and the environment is not tied to any securitygroup.
We have an automated flow that requires certain user to be present in the systemuser table of a dataverse environment but that user is missing in the systemuser table of the dataverse environment.

I only want the user to be saved in another user lookup field of some other table so for that required the missing user to appear in systemuser table which is acting as lookup in the other table..Will the missing user still require a license?

Does it means that for a user to be present in systemuser table of Dataverse environment it needs to have a Dynamics 365 license or does it require some other license?

If I add user using the Add user button which displays the office365 users will the added user still require some license?

@Traverser ,

Yes, the user requires D365 license.

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Traverser,

The user would need a license of some type.  Would not need to be a Dynamics 365 license, you could have Power Apps Per User or Power Apps Per App license as well and follow steps to get that user to show up in the environment as I identified in the link above.

One thing, if you are working with flows and users in your organization that do not really have a need to be in the environment because they do not use the application or the dataverse a lot of times I will setup these users as Contacts within an Account that would be the your organization.  This way you can relate them in tables and not need to have them be actual Users in the environment consuming licenses.  Of course you would need to define flows that would loop through the active Users in Azure Active Directory and keep this updated (or do manually).  Just mentioning because another approach I have used.

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks @dpoggemann this was really helpful...

@Prakash4691 Thank you so much for your input...

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,152)