Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gayathri_TU
Helper II
Helper II

Model Driven Form - Auto populate Text Field

Hi All ,

I am very new to Model driven app, I have 3 fields in the main Form First Name , Last name and Display Name.

I need to auto populate Display name with values entered in First Name and Last Name field.

Can you help me on this. Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Prakash4691
Super User
Super User

Hi @Gayathri_TU ,

If it is a new field and haven't deployed to production. I would suggest you to delete and create new field for display name as calculated field.

Attaching link for your reference. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/data-platform/define-calculated-fields

If you can't create as new field then you can achieve using JavaScript or plugin. Depends on your business requirement.

If you want to populate value on change of first name or last name then JavaScript or if it on save then JavaScript or plugin.

If it answers your question, kindly give kudo and accept it as solution.

Regards,

Prakash

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Prakash4691
Super User
Super User

Hi @Gayathri_TU ,

If it is a new field and haven't deployed to production. I would suggest you to delete and create new field for display name as calculated field.

Attaching link for your reference. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/data-platform/define-calculated-fields

If you can't create as new field then you can achieve using JavaScript or plugin. Depends on your business requirement.

If you want to populate value on change of first name or last name then JavaScript or if it on save then JavaScript or plugin.

If it answers your question, kindly give kudo and accept it as solution.

Regards,

Prakash

Gayathri_TU
Helper II
Helper II

@Prakash4691  Thanks for helping me out.

Also one more question , is there a way to change the lookup display value . I am not using Primary Name column value in the table because of that even if select any value form the lookup field , it shows as "No Name" in display.

Is there any way to fix the same?

@Gayathri_TU ,

For lookup it should be always primary field of the record. We can't change that. Whatever value you want to populate, using OOB workflow or through power automate, while creating the record trigger and fill up the value in the primary field.

Regards,

Prakash

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (5,043)