cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
5by5T
Frequent Visitor

Model-driven app Subgrid with Many-to-Many

Hello, 

I have a bit of a complicated table scenario that I'm hoping to get some help with.

I am using the Accounts table for Dance Studios. Each studio will have add a list of Dancers to their account (one-to-many). 

When a Studio would like to register for a Dance Competition. They will start a Registration form using the 'Registration table'. 

Each registration will have many Routines. So in the registration form, I have a sub-grid where they can add a new routine(s) to the Registration. 

Here's the part I'm lost on: Each routine can have many dancers (many-to-many), but they can only select dancers associated with their Studio's Account. I am struggling to make this form user friendly as right now they can add a routine, but I can't get it to allow adding several dancers from a many-to-many relationship to that routine, let alone filter it by that account. It's like a sub-grid create form that needs to contain a sub-grid. I'm also trying to avoid them navigating to an entirely new form, but perhaps that's not possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Z_Lukowski
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

When I encounter problems like this with (M:M) and the logic starts to be too complex I'm following the idea of breaking M:M into 1:M and M:1 relationships. (I don't know if its recommended approach)

So in this case creation of Routines can be split into "Routine Object" which object can have:

M:1 Relationship with "Routine" M:1 Relationship with "Dance Studio" and 1:M Relationship with "Dancers", 

I don't think a "Routine" object can handle it alone, If you want to constrain this Object to grab only "Dancers" from a selected studio what should happen in new registration for another studio. I see also the possibility to Relate "Dancers" with "Registration" instead of "Routines" if that's possible. But If you need to have them related to specific Routines you'll probably need the Object in Between. 

How's that sound?

BR

Zbigniew

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Z_Lukowski
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

When I encounter problems like this with (M:M) and the logic starts to be too complex I'm following the idea of breaking M:M into 1:M and M:1 relationships. (I don't know if its recommended approach)

So in this case creation of Routines can be split into "Routine Object" which object can have:

M:1 Relationship with "Routine" M:1 Relationship with "Dance Studio" and 1:M Relationship with "Dancers", 

I don't think a "Routine" object can handle it alone, If you want to constrain this Object to grab only "Dancers" from a selected studio what should happen in new registration for another studio. I see also the possibility to Relate "Dancers" with "Registration" instead of "Routines" if that's possible. But If you need to have them related to specific Routines you'll probably need the Object in Between. 

How's that sound?

BR

Zbigniew

View solution in original post

rampprakash
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello @5by5T,

You can filter the N:N Subgrid filter value. Please find my blog below

https://microsoftcrmtechie.blogspot.com/2019/10/nn-filter-subgrid-dynamics-365-mscrm.html

Please mark as Answer if it is helpful and provide Kudos

Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnGNN3hdlKBOr6PXotskNLA
Blog : https://microsoftcrmtechie.blogspot.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,119)