cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Default Entity Views

Working on an MDA that will have a few different Areas that are specific to business department sub area... Each will need to have the Account and Contact entities but each area will be working with different "Account Types."

For Example,

Area 1 will need to add/view Accounts Type A,

Area 2 will need to add/view Accounts Type B, 

Area 3 will need to add/view Accounts Type C, 

Is it possible to use the same account entity across all of the Areas and simply create a filtered, default view for each Area? I am hoping that the users will be able to avoid manual switching or filtering the views each time they access the accounts...

Or will this require a new "Custom Account" entity for each Area? ( I hope not...)

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @criley 

Yes, you can use the same Account entity for the different areas.   There are a few different things you can do to assist with this.

• Use an optionset (drop down list) field on the Account to define they type of Account it is
  • Create filtered views for each Account type and filter based on the optionset value.
  • Users can then pin the view of Accounts that is relevant to them so that every time they access the Accounts section it shows their view of Accounts

If you want to get more advanced you could do things like the following:

• Use Business Units and Security Roles to completely separate out the different types Accounts.  Create a Business Unit for each Area.  This way the different Accounts effectively sit inside a Business Unit and are only visible to the users that belong in each Business Unit.  This would remove the need for filtering based on Account type as above
  • You can also have different Forms for each Account type and show the user the correct Form based on Security Roles

The advanced option can be quite complicated if you are new to CDS.  Take a look at the links and let me know if you need any further help.

-----

If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @criley 

Yes, you can use the same Account entity for the different areas.   There are a few different things you can do to assist with this.

• Use an optionset (drop down list) field on the Account to define they type of Account it is
  • Create filtered views for each Account type and filter based on the optionset value.
  • Users can then pin the view of Accounts that is relevant to them so that every time they access the Accounts section it shows their view of Accounts

If you want to get more advanced you could do things like the following:

• Use Business Units and Security Roles to completely separate out the different types Accounts.  Create a Business Unit for each Area.  This way the different Accounts effectively sit inside a Business Unit and are only visible to the users that belong in each Business Unit.  This would remove the need for filtering based on Account type as above
  • You can also have different Forms for each Account type and show the user the correct Form based on Security Roles

The advanced option can be quite complicated if you are new to CDS.  Take a look at the links and let me know if you need any further help.

-----

If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

View solution in original post

Highlighted

@HSheild 

I sure appreciate your reply...

As soon as I clicked post, the pin method dawned on me... Figured I would see what other option were out there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Users online (14,327)