cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CP153319
Helper V
Helper V

Office 365 E3 License & Common Data Service

Through my company I have an Office 365 E3 license and it shows "Common Data Service" as one of the items that comes with the license under "My Accounts > Subscriptions". But... I'm not able to do anything with it because I only have "PowerApps For Office 365". 

Can someone explain why I'd have CDS but not be able to use it in this E3 license? 

Thank you and happy Monday!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CP153319 ,

Regarding the issue that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderstanding with Microsoft 365 license include PowerApps.

Currently, A limited set of Common Data Service capabilities are included with Microsoft 365 licenses to support some Microsoft 365 products. However, a Power Apps or Power Automate Standalone plan is still needed to run apps with Common Data Service.

Please check the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus#power-appspower-automate-...

If you want to run a canvas app using CDS as data source, you must purchase Power Apps or Power Automate Standalone plan for your account.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ben-thompson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

As with a lot of MS license details its hidden away but https://www.paitgroup.com/blog/an-office-365-users-guide-to-powerapps-and-flow-licensing-october-201... has a nice overview

Office 365 for PowerApps allows you to create a canvas app and use it to access other Office 365 functions.

---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CP153319 ,

Regarding the issue that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderstanding with Microsoft 365 license include PowerApps.

Currently, A limited set of Common Data Service capabilities are included with Microsoft 365 licenses to support some Microsoft 365 products. However, a Power Apps or Power Automate Standalone plan is still needed to run apps with Common Data Service.

Please check the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus#power-appspower-automate-...

If you want to run a canvas app using CDS as data source, you must purchase Power Apps or Power Automate Standalone plan for your account.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@v-xida-msft ,

I have a M365 E3 license, created a canvas app from Data from CDS, created a new entity and I have the app working. Why then, if you say it's not possible? I don't have any standalone licenses for Power Apps nor Automate.

CDS_app.png

Fernando

@v-xida-msft ,

I have the same question as @calerof , infact I was able to add a guest user, give them only 3 assignments i.e. CDS, PowerApps for O365 and Flow for O365 and they were still able to access a Model Driven App. So do I really need to have a stand-alone license to access Apps consuming CDS??

CP153319
Helper V
Helper V

@v-xida-msft ,

I am also able to create a canvas app using entities I created in the CDS. I'm able to read and write to the CDS. I am able to share the app with other people and they can do the same (read, write). I do not have a standalone Powerapps license (I have Powerapps for Office 365 listed in my subscription) but I do work for one of the biggest companies on earth - Not sure if that matters. 

Can someone please explain what is going on here?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,406)