Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mo_Islam
Helper III
Helper III

Open App in Browser (outside of Teams)

Hi,

I created an App within Teams (Dataverse). I noticed that a new environment is created for this.

I published the App which works well within the Teams Channel associated with, however this same App will not open in a browser and only works within teams. Is there a way around this because people do have a need to switch between channels and screens within the Teams environment and returning back to the App seems to load from the beginning each time you go into it.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
LukeNZ
Regular Visitor

Hey @Mo_Islam,

I don't believe you can open the app outside of Teams. Possibly due to it being coupled with the Dataverse instance and the users security / permissions that sits within the Team environment. I tried this on an app I recently built and it wouldn't allow me to open in a browser either. 

I would also be keen on the solution if anyone else knows how to open the app in a browser!

A couple of options that might help with your use case though...

• Teams now has a pop-out feature - so users could pop-out the app in a separate window, whilst they continue to navigate around other channels / screens. This works on apps pinned as a tab in a Teams Channel and apps pinned to the left hand nav.
  • You could use the Web / Browser version of Teams to view the app.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, 

Luke

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mo_Islam 

I found the following in the Microsoft documentation 

• Apps created in Teams are not displayed in the list of apps in make.powerapps.com or Power Apps mobile app. The only way to run these apps is to launch them in a web browser from Teams using Go to website or Open in browser in the Power Apps mobile app.

Not sure if this helps...

thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew
LukeNZ
Regular Visitor

Thanks @dpoggemann, I just tried this again and it's now working! I've made no changes so not sure what was wrong originally. 

If I open the app in either Teams Desktop or Teams Web, and choose the Go To Website option form the top righthand side, it correctly opens the app in my browser.

Might be worth trying again @Mo_Islam. If it doesn't work, can you post what page or error you get? 

Thanks!

Mo_Islam
Helper III
Helper III

Thank you both for your support.

I get this when I click open in browser:

Mo_Islam_0-1614079302200.png

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mo_Islam,

Sorry I missed a limitation here...  You need to have a Power Apps license to do this part...

dpoggemann_0-1614083591664.png

Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Drew

Hope this helps. Please accept if answers your question or Like if helps in any way.
Thanks,
Drew
LukeNZ
Regular Visitor

Aah yes! Good spot, thanks @dpoggemann 

So where we have powerapps licensing as part of our organisation plan (but not CDS), does that mean teams powerapps on dataverse cannot be run on a web browser (even by following the link)?

Trial mode will expire I'm assuming and will require to purchase a separate license?

dpoggemann
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mo_Islam,

From what I understand that is correct, if you user wants to run the app outside of teams then they need to have the appropriate Power Apps license (Power App Per App, Power App Per User).

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks,
Drew
GarryPope
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@dpoggemann you saved me an evening's worth of pain with your message above. Thank you so much. Here's the link to the Microsoft Docs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (1,891)