cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Inpriya01
Frequent Visitor

Overwrite record in model driven app

Hello Experts,

I think there is a bug in Model driven Apps, I observed data being overwritten if two users are writing to same record simultaneously.

Example:

Suppose User A open a record first and simultaneously User B also open same record then without any alert both users are allowed to make changes to the data.

I guess this is wrong, if User A start editing first then user B must be prompted with an error message.

Have you also noticed it??

thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
DavidJennaway
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

There is no way to prevent this happening. What you're seeing is known as 'optimistic locking', and CDS and almost all modern cloud-based applications work this way. What you're asking for is known as 'pessimistic locking'; this was common for traditional client-server applications running on desktops, but is not really viable for cloud-based apps as there is no good way to know if a user is intending to edit a record, nor when they have stopped looking at the record.

You can't change this behaviour, but you can use auditing to identify if 2 users did make simultaneous changes

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Inpriya01 ,

Actually, it is an known issue with the 'Optimistic Concurrency Lock' within Model-Driven app form (D365 CRM Form). I agree with @DavidJennaway 's thought almost, I afraid that there is no way to fix this issue in PowerApps currently.

As an alternative solution, I think SDK Calls and Web API could achieve your needs. Please check the alternative solution mentioned from @Abhishek Kumar  within the following article:

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/microsoft-dynamics-crm-forum/193312/how-to-prevent-2-people-fro...

If you would like this fix functionality to be released in PowerApps, please consider submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,718)