Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Billy_C
Helper V
Helper V

Pasting lookup labels in Powerapps excel template

Hi there,

I have a question about the Powerapps excel templates.

So normally If I want to import data I usually go to the entity and click the "edit data in excel" button this way I can view all the data from that entity and easily add new rows.

Except I have one issue with these templates, I have this list of contacts with the company they are working at and I want to import this so I pasted about 100 records as this is the maximum amount of records it can update at the time but apparently I can't seem to paste the company name into the lookup field. Is there any easy way to edit all these lookup fields, since searching after the company for each record then selecting that company takes ages when adding thousands of records?

Thanks in Advance,

Billy Cottrell

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpoggemann
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Billy_C,

I utilize the Excel Templates regularly to import data for Accounts, Contacts, custom entities, etc.  I don't utilize the "edit data in Excel" though, instead I utilize  the data maps and data import functionality.

If you go to admin.powerplatform.com you will be able to click on "Settings" in the admin menu for your environment and see the following:

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 4.59.09 AM.png

From here you can click on "Data Import Templates" to get an Excel Template for importing any of your entities and then you can utilize the Imports under Data Management to import from there.  You can also leverage the Data Import Wizard to assist with data mapping etc.

Overall this will allow you to setup your data and import thousands of rows at a time if desired.

Some useful articles:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/user/import-data

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/data-platform/data-platform-import-export

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dpoggemann
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Billy_C,

I utilize the Excel Templates regularly to import data for Accounts, Contacts, custom entities, etc.  I don't utilize the "edit data in Excel" though, instead I utilize  the data maps and data import functionality.

If you go to admin.powerplatform.com you will be able to click on "Settings" in the admin menu for your environment and see the following:

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 4.59.09 AM.png

From here you can click on "Data Import Templates" to get an Excel Template for importing any of your entities and then you can utilize the Imports under Data Management to import from there.  You can also leverage the Data Import Wizard to assist with data mapping etc.

Overall this will allow you to setup your data and import thousands of rows at a time if desired.

Some useful articles:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/user/import-data

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/data-platform/data-platform-import-export

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Drew

View solution in original post

Billy_C
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @dpoggemann,

Thanks you for this information this really helped me to import my data.

The only issue I still had was when you double relate records, because I was trying to import companies and addresses as separate entities (as in some cases we have many addresses related to a company) meaning that a company has 3 separate address fields (headquarters, invoice and delivery address) aswell as a list of all addresses related to that company which are addresses where the company field was filled in with that company name.

So when I import my company its address doesn't exist, but when I import my address I can already relate to the company.

This way 1 of the relations was filled in, in this case the list of all related addresses.

Now for the other 3 fields I found out that when I am using the template from the entity using the excel addon I am able to copy the id of my address and paste it in the address id field of my company record directly, instead of using the labels itself.

If this didn't work I actually would have needed to update all these records manually which is around 600 records (x3 relations), luckily it didn't come to that.

Unless there is an easier way to import 2 entities at the same time with relations in 2 directions, or something?

Thanks in Advance!

Billy Cottrell

dpoggemann
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Billy_C,

No easier way unless you write code through something like Data Flows.   Glad this helped!  Please mark accepted if so. 

Thanks much!

Drew

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,207)